Find out if anyone tied to the films or TV shows you watch is accused of sexual misconduct by searching 'Rotten Apples'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/12/18/find-out-if-anyone-tied-to-the.html

1 Like

If you’d like to know if any of the movies or TV shows you watch has a bad apple…

It does. Welcome to 2017.

1 Like

Why do I feel like adding “…for now” or “…as of yet” to the end of this seems appropriate? Seems like everyday someone crawls out of the woodwork.

6 Likes

Given the tiny, tiny percentage of abusers who have been revealed as such, this seems rather pointless. Also, what are you going to do about it? Boycott? That harms a bunch of innocent people, including their victims as well.

2 Likes

I guess there’s nothing anyone can do about it, just like he said before he called her an Uber.

1 Like

Exactly. I think what’s more important is whether the item in question was cast/produced once it was widely public knowledge/acknowledged that a person involved was a known abuser.

1 Like

Speaking of sexual misconduct, has Al Franken resigned yet?

Everything is connected. It’s not possible to punish only the person who deserves it - inevitably “bystanders” will be affected by their demise.

This phenomenon is actually one of the main things that protects abusers. The people around them become hostages. Those who might be moved to action out of sympathy for the victims find their hands stayed by sympathy for the bystanders.

“I would tell everyone but it would devastate his wife, and she doesn’t deserve that”
“I would kick him out, but what would it do to our children?”
“I would report this but it would ruin the big project so many people have worked on”

Abusers are aware of this dilemma, and exploit it. In my opinion we would probably be better off overall if we agreed that reporting sexual abuse is more important than most other things our society values, and accepted that therefore it is right and proper that sometimes ourselves and other innocent people will be impacted and inconvenienced by the accountability process.

4 Likes

Speaking of sexual misconduct, Al Franken squeezing womens tits is a bad thing and he should be punished, but shuttering the largest child prostitution institution seems like a higher priority. The catholic church (and probably all religious institutions) should immediately lose tax exempt status, their properties should be confiscated by the state and every person involved with raping children should be jailed.

1 Like

Well, as others have pointed out, the appropriate time for accountability is before the thing gets made, not afterwards. And as a third party, it’s really not up to me to decide for the victims that they get to be punished along with the perpetrator, especially when they’ve made it clear that’s not what they want to happen. Boycotting a film has an indirect and uneven impact. Indirect because you’re telling Hollywood (assuming they even get the message) that they shouldn’t employ that person for future work - which you could simply tell them directly by making it clear that coddling harassers isn’t acceptable - and uneven, because non-famous abusers don’t get named, don’t end up in lists like this, which means what, Hollywood is free to continue to employ them? Not to mention the impact of abusers on even films they didn’t work on - e.g. Weinstein’s actress blacklist that prevented those actresses from working even on films for other producers.

Nah.

Hollywood is a machine made to generate money. That’s it.

Remove the dollar on the basis they’ve employed abusers, and in the next round of fundraisings and cash allocations for production, the investors will drive out the rats from the ship.

Of course they knew about Weinstein, and all the others. But while the moneyball rolls, why should they care?

Take away the money, and they will care. Not the moral way we want them to. But they will care.

1 Like

“The Apprentice” is rated fresh.

Site has no credibility.

(ETA: Looks like Celebrity Apprentice is rated Rotten, while The Apprentice is actually the UK version. So this site just has shit design.)

(ETA2: Big Brother is also rated fresh. I officially call shenanigans.)

3 Likes

“Everybody” in Hollywood knew Weinstein was a rapist, and presumably they also knew that it was pretty likely to eventually get him in big trouble. But they kept working with him, because they figured that as long as they could get their project out the door without issue, a possible future Weinstein scandal was not their problem.

If, on the other hand, industry decisionmakers knew that when an abuser is outed it taints all the projects they ever worked on, those decisionmakers would be much more hesitant to just wave away abuse allegations as “rumors” when deciding who to bring on to a project.

2 Likes

It’s not very accurate on older stuff. For example:

2 Likes

Except that things are happening right now without any boycotts - Spacey getting kicked off his show, replaced in a movie - just because of a change in public consciousness. Boycotts, based on woefully inadequate information don’t help, as the vast majority of abuse goes on unknown to the public and thus unchallenged.

And that’s happening - without boycotts. There’s a reason why Weinstein was so desperate to keep these stories out of the press.

Exactly. When I compared it to my own private list, all of the yet unknown A or B list pedos and rapists are not included, taken from the popular blind items.

Summary:
A list rape: 8, pedo: 6,
B list rape: 2, pedo: 2

Revealed here: 2.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.