Find out when your first name was popular with the Baby Name Explorer app

North East England. His maw’s Scottish. There’s loads of the buggers there.

2 Likes

Wait a second. Are you trying to tell me that there are people who name their child INFANT ?!

4 Likes

And Baby too!

Guess they’re taking the names from initial birth records, and some people don’t come up with a name quickly enough. I know the social worker came to my bed before I was discharged (less than 24 hours after giving birth to my first child) to find out the name, and she then answered the race question herself, which means it’s not accurate! I was exhausted and surprised and a little bemused so I didn’t correct her. All that mattered to me at that moment was that the name was spelled right.

4 Likes

And “Baby” apparently. How do you punish that kid? YOU CAN’T PUT THEM IN THE CORNER!

5 Likes

Better than TBD.

3 Likes

Ah, yes… that would be where the concentration must live. Makes sense!

3 Likes

Came here to say exactly that…

Laundry…?

I thought it said Laundry at first glance, too, but apparently it is Landry. Which also, WTF?

2 Likes

Cowboys fans?

3 Likes

My friends named their (born last year) little girl “Martha”. I recall reading somewhere years ago that names tend to go in cycles… And people start pulling names from their grandparents’, or great-grandparents’ generation.

Also, there’s a handful of interesting name tools at the Social Security Administration’s baby name website.

And it would appear that I was just slightly before “Peak Ryan”, which appears to be around 1985 or so… But that didn’t stop me from having 3 Ryans in my class all the way through grade school.

(also, looks like the name we picked for our son was insanely popular the year he was born, declining since… But that explains why there are three kids with his name in his grade 1 class this year).

Or Friday Night Lights (the TV show) fans (the character’s father was a Cowboys fan):

One of the founding surnames of Acadia (French Canada). I’ll bet if they broke it up by state we’d see most of them in Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, upstate New York, Michigan, and Wisconsin.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.