Find out when your first name was popular with the Baby Name Explorer app

Johannsson beats O’Hara.

http://rhiever.github.io/baby-name-explorer/index.html?BabyName=Scarlett

1 Like

I was actually surprised my real name (Linley) turned up. I wasn’t surprised to find it was more popular as a boys name for a while and then more popular as a girl’s name more recently. A lot of ley/lee/leigh names seem to do that.

Wish there was an equivalent site for Australia though.

4 Likes

In my head, you’re “Tobes”. Hope that’s ok. :smile:

3 Likes

I’d know one, but he’s a duck…

2 Likes

He’s got to be dead by now.

1 Like

My son’s name was most popular in 1880. Take that conventionality!

1 Like

Tell little Adolph I said ’ Hi’ :smile:

1 Like

I don’t even need to click on this, as I am a Jennifer so the answer is “all of the freaking 70’s.” There were 5 of us in my 3rd grade class of 25 kids. 3 of whom had the same last initial.

7 Likes

Poor Olga… :disappointed_relieved:

Here’s the thing: if you give your baby that cool new name that all the hip parents are choosing, in 50 years they will be stuck with a cliche middle-aged name. When’s the last time you met a little kid named “Gladys?” If there is one, I feel for her. She’s going to be gray by third grade.

Trivia: Can’t remember where I read it, but names that are popular among rich parents, catch on among the 99% about a decade later. If you meet an Ashley who’s over 40, she went to prep school.

Looks like there’s enough of you to form a queue.

1 Like

A very very small one.

A queue of one is still a queue.

…technically, a queue of zero is also a queue, an empty one. The structure for handling it is in place, only the elements are missing.

1 Like

My grandmother didn’t do very well – other than a little 1950s bump, Signe pretty much disappeared. Grandpa Hugo, however, took off after the 50s.

According to this, the Owen Singularity started around 1994.

By my calculations, every US male will be named Owen by the year 2040.

4 Likes

Ana has pretty much devoured Anna.

Yup. In my 6th grade class there were three of us, so one got to be just Jennifer, one was called by her initials (J.R., which let her in for all kinds of fun because of “Dallas”), and I was called by my last name, which I haaaaaated.

2 Likes

I know one who’s not even forty yet.

Really! How 'bout that. In what nation does this unicorn reside?