Finnish guy cuts a hole in lake ice and jumps in to retrieve his stuff

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/03/finnish-guy-cuts-a-hole-in-lak.html

7 Likes

I admire his tenacity & ability to jump into a frozen lake.

8 Likes

Reminds me of what happens when you import a religious ceremony that developed in a slightly warmer country:

5 Likes

20kg of steel?

Insert picture of ICPjuggalomagnetshowmiracles.png

3 Likes

Whatever happened to the good old days when he would find pleasre in simple things, like crushing rolls of masking tape?

7 Likes

Hehe, it’s not as cold as you think. (:

4 Likes

8 Likes

And this couldn’t wait until summer?

4 Likes

Yeah, I watched the melting video and at the end he said he was going to dive in and get it later. I assumed by “later” he meant a season or two. Not a couple of days.

Then I remembered he’s Finnish.

…it all made sense.

17 Likes

I thought the same thing. And he seemed really unfazed over jumping in the water and then back out.

3 Likes

My God it makes parts of me shrink just looking at that!

8 Likes

I want to be Finnish. Between this and the sauna obsession. I belong there.

ETA: It’s a thing there, the ice swimming - sauna combo. He’s done this many times I’m guessing just for kicks.

4 Likes

We need a chaser video, stat! Unicorns don’t seem appropriate, though. Maybe a video of a massive forest fire?

Or, y’know a unicorn.
On fire.

4 Likes

8 Likes

Exactly.

People that don’t exist can’t be affected by the cold.

6 Likes

The Hydraulic Press Channel is still there; Beyond the Press is just their videos that aren’t actually about crushing things.

7 Likes

What’s with the burned-looking dead-spot?

1 Like

That guy and his wife are the sweetest. Most of the videos are of him doing something silly and her laughing her arse off. It makes me wish for a life where I don’t wake up screaming, then annoyed I’m still alive. Eh.

11 Likes

It’s the highest number of metal bands per-capita and the burgeoning tech scene that’s selling me. Not sure I’d be able to motorcycle anywhere for more than six months a year though so I’m conflicted.

I also enjoy their national sport, which is staring at Russians across the border until they fuck off.

8 Likes

They’re a great couple, very low key and you can tell they get a lot of joy from making their various videos.There’s a few other similar channels i like to watch but their personality really shines through despite a bit of a language barrier.

3 Likes