Fireman rants hilariously about people transporting trashbags of gas

No, Slivovitz is a plum brandy from Eastern Europe. You’re thinking of Żubrówka, which is a Polish vodka flavored with bison grass. Both are delicious and popular with Ashkenazi Jews.

6 Likes

I vaguely remember there being some news article about someones house burning down because they lived in a Lib-Cap town and their neighbour hadn’t paid for their private fire insurance. When the neighbours house burned down the fire spread and the fire department couldn’t control it.

This was years ago so I wouldn’t even know where to look for it, but I think I saw it on Slashdot which I stopped reading ten years ago.

3 Likes
4 Likes

I had thought of the same one, where the fire department refused to do anything but limit the spread of the fire to other areas, not even if the homeowners paid on the spot, all over a $75 fee. Four pets died in the uncontrolled fire. It was pretty appalling and I hadn’t known such a thing existed in the US.

1 Like

Well, if they found 20 gallons of gas in the vehicle, obviously that wasn’t what burned or it wouldn’t have been there to find! :wink:

2 Likes

Of course, but that’s not quite the same as doing shots in the sanctuary until you are quite drunk, to fulfill a commandment* :wink:

(*persons who should avoid alcohol are of course exempt from this)

1 Like

Thanks for teaching me a thing! So not the same then, but similarly clear and high proof.

1 Like

@Yri

Now that vaguely rings a bell :thinking:

A good friend of Ukrainian/Scottish decent (now there’s a liver made of steal!) took me to a religious gathering lunch or dinner, all very hazy, no bottles of wine on the table but scattered with bottle of vodka. Zitnia was another name I ‘remembered’ but it must have been Żubrówka because at some stage I got transfixed on the green tinge it added.

She proceeded to drink most of the men under the table, quite literally in some cases! Proud to say I stayed till stumps or so I remember!

This was in Australia… and Australians think they can drink?!

Good. On the other hand the thin red line is already a thing. They probably should have chosen another colour unless they’re Crimean War era British soldiers.

2 Likes

I have a feeling that Australians, like Americans, are good at drinking beer but not necessarily hard liquors. All of the world can be divided into beer, wine and liquor cultures and having experience with the one doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re good with the other two.

Yeah, but like the North Americans we a bastard culture of immigrants living on native title. So I think it is actually a very interesting point of discussion of the cultural influences of our drinking cultures.

First off ABSOLUTELY NO ONE IN AUSTRALIA DRINKS FOSTERS!! Ok Hrrrmmmph…

We probably share an Irish drinking tradition as well as a more Scottish one in Australia… not so much beer.

You guys have a pretty stronger German and Dutch cultural influence… mmmm beer

Probably similar to the US and Canada we had the influx of Chinese and Italian folk to the gold fields… wines and spirits perhaps?

After WW2 there was a massive new wave of immigrants on our indigenous native land that introduced a very European mix of drinkers: Italian, Greek (more Greek people live in Melbourne than Athens), Eastern European, Middle Eastern, a large Jewish influence in drinking… Mazel tov!

Of course I’m writing this drinking Japanese whiskey, so a very blurred and potted history of our contemporary drinking cultures!

Yep, the beer drinking white Australian is both a truth and a misrepresentation of the more multicultural contemporary Australia:

1 Like

Since “you guys” in my case means born and bred German you’re not wrong.

But of the three Australians I know one is an Instagram gin influencer, the other one didn’t drink any beer until we introduced her to it in a country on the other side of the world and the third one prefers cider and whisky.

1 Like

The Venn diagram of people who need to support the flag by flying it on their truck and house, and those who support defacing flags with stain lines, is perfectly round.

Their circle would be better identified by pushing out a thin brown pile flag

Glad this is a “southeast US” thing… nothing special happening with gas at all anywhere else…

I’m drinking some Slivovitz right now! From a small mason jar. Romanian buddy of mine brought me a jar from home. Made by his parents. Nioce & burny.

To be honest, I had open my liquor cabinet and find it before posting.

Noroc!

Ooh, homemade! I’m jealous

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.