First 1 terabyte SD card hits stores

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/10/first-1-terabyte-sd-card-hits.html

1 Like

Fill it up with harmless stuff, stick it in your phone, and then go through customs.

11 Likes

If you have an unlimited budget. For the rest of us with lots of data, and for datacentres the world over, spinning storage is still quite relevant.

9 Likes

What kind of data do people hoard to need a 15Tb hard drive at home?!

Video editing for that much data.

Bragging rights for your sick new gaming rig.

6 Likes

I will be be holding out for the quintabyte

2 Likes

My recipes?

12 Likes

People who do lossless 4K

6 Likes

MicroSD is the form factor I tend to use. How long until we get those in 1TB, so I can accidentally swallow 1/15h of the Library of Congress?

(I’m hard-pressed to imagine storing that much data on my mobile devices, though. I’m not about to start lifelogging… Hell, I haven’t even filled up the 2TB on my desktop machine.)

1 Like

Let’s see. If 5 1/4" 64KB single-sided floppies (the first portable data storage thingies I used, back in '83) are a mm thick, you’d need a stack of them 15.6km (close enough to 10 miles) high to get the same data storage.

10 Likes

Blu-ray and DVD rips for Plex. Shall we go on? :nerd_face:

5 Likes

This brought back the memory of my visiting the Exabyte stand at Comdex back in 1990-something - their Star Product Launch was a 1Tb multi-tape drive. It looked like the centre console of The Tardis, and was roughly the same size.

2 Likes

Cameras - hi-res stills and especially hi-res video, m’lad :wink:

1 Like

Obligatory xkcd.

It’s all freakin’ wonderful until something goes wrong and you lose the entire terabyte of data all at once

Backups, backups of backups, and backups of backups of backups. I need to do more backups…

10 Likes

better idea: fill two with random data, one with a veracrypt volume, and label them 1, 2, and 4…

3 Likes

My thoughts exactly. We just lost a cheap SD card full of podcasts (it’s in some parking lot, I guess) in our household recently. I can’t fathom investing $500 in something so easy to drop, so easy to put in the laundry, so easy to misplace.

Years ago my wife bought me a 256MB flash drive when those were luxury novelties, nearly $100 at the time. I was afraid to take it out of the house.

I think the flip side of the same faster-bigger-cheaper phenomenon (you can get a hugely useful amount of storage for just a couple dollars) is far more exciting, more world-changing.

1 Like

incremental backups?

(ok, ok; if you only have one, and you keep it at home, that pretty much defines “single point of failure.”)

This is fantastic for high-res video applications, but otherwise, I cringe at the thought of storing that much on something so easy to lose.

3 Likes

Vm’s is how I have chewed up a few TB in my home storage.

3 Likes