First drone video of orcas hunting and killing a great white shark

Originally published at: First drone video of orcas hunting and killing a great white shark | Boing Boing

9 Likes

19 Likes

That didn’t take them long at all.

We’re gonna need a bigger, bigger boat.

14 Likes

Season 8 Wow GIF by The Office

5 Likes

I learned something from a recent episode of Radiolab… I had thought using Orca instead of Killer Whale was a rebranding to be nicer. Turns out Orca essentially means “One from Hell.”

More specifically it means “One of (or belonging to) Orcus,” the Roman equivalent of Hades.

15 Likes

Hell Whale.

:fire::metal::sunglasses::fire:

18 Likes

Mammals > fish

Though I could have done without the incompetently added sound effects.

3 Likes

Cool footage, to be sure. But that shark is already an ex-shark by the time the video starts. They’re just playing with their food.

5 Likes

That makes it even scarier

6 Likes

I knew Orcas would hunt things like seals and dolphins, it never occurred to me they’d also go after sharks, but in retrospective it’s completely reasonable that they would.

3 Likes

5 Likes

I fully recognize Orca’s are not sharks, but that didn’t stop Mack the Knife from playing in my head as soon as I started the video.

1 Like

Bottlenose dolphins will hunt down and kill a shark if they decide he’s a threat. Mostly by slamming into it’s gills and belly to cause bleeding and rupture the shark’s liver. There’s apex predators and then there’s SMART apex predators.

7 Likes

Between February and June in 2017, five white shark carcasses washed up on beaches in Gansbaai, Western Cape Province, four of which had their livers removed.

Looks like someone’s sending a message. :no_mouth:

4 Likes

They have a particular taste for great white shark liver.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.