Orcas have learned how to kill great white sharks, to remove and eat their livers

Originally published at: Orcas have learned how to kill great white sharks, to remove and eat their livers | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Sinking boats…orrrrrr getting input on technology useful to their advancement?

25 Likes

oblig

27 Likes

“For the orcas this is like eating a deep fried Mars Bar with added vitamins.”

13 Likes

whoa. i am conflicted here.
sharks are cool!
orcas are cool!
orcas dining on white shark liver…? damn, that’s cool. i’d eat that too!
eat up, me hearties.

15 Likes

Sharks are mindless, voracious killers.
Orcas plan tasting menus.

Yikes.

20 Likes

Orcas have learned how to kill great white sharks, to remove and eat their livers

Orcas are now trying to find a way to source fava beans and a nice Chianti

25 Likes

Yacht owners: :grimacing:
The rest of us: :partying_face:

11 Likes

Presumably once another animal has figured out how to kill and eat you, you’re no longer an “apex predator”. Sucks to be a great white shark.

16 Likes

“not so great now are ya shark boy?”

10 Likes

Maybe they have pernicious anemia and are low on B12?

History of Vitamin B-12 and Pernicious Anemia (oklahoman.com)

The first breakthrough occurred in the early 1920s when Drs. George Whipple, George Minot and William Murphy showed that feeding a half-pound of raw liver daily to patients with pernicious anemia led to a cure within two weeks.

7 Likes

I, for one, welcome our new Orca overlords.

11 Likes

11 Likes

For what it is worth my heart goes to the sharks here. It’s probably colored by that scene in Blue Planet where orcas slend hours separating a baby whale from its mother so they can eat its tongue. But still, killing something so you can use one trivial portion, and then just throwing the rest away? Something sharks already have to put up with enough of from Homo sapiens.

19 Likes

Put that way, it is rather like shark fin soup :unamused:

13 Likes

Why? I wonder if it’s not that the biologists are worried, but rather other human observers in general.

Some observers are horrified about this, even though our own treatment of animals is arguably much worse, at least to judge by human standards. (Orcas probably have their own moral intelligence and social codes). Are we worried that orcas may go from human friend to human foe and start eating our livers? And - more importantly - would they be morally justified in doing so? What’s unsettling about this story to some humans is that it hits close to home.

8 Likes

hence my conflict.
i do love sharks. the way they move is so graceful. i won’t eat shark (nor octopus), though many people say it is tasty. any time we hook a shark, we do everything we can to unhook them and release them unharmed. sharks have suffered at human hands far too much and are totally misunderstood creatures, hated by many who will never encounter one in the wild.
there have been two very recent shark bite incidents here in the Keys, both survived (shark and human), but it does not keep us out of the water at all.
sharks are still cool by me.
that’s all i have to say about that.

13 Likes

I agree with all of this, and even though we can’t see below the surface of our near-marsh shark nursery seaside, we also still go in the water all the time.

Sharks are smart, curious, and interesting. They’re (as a rule) unthreatening to divers and swimmers. I also think Orcas are pretty cool, too, but have no direct interaction with them.

8 Likes

Great Whites are a ‘vulnerable’ (one step better than ‘threatened’) species, that’s why I find this horrifying and scientists should be worried that Orcas might teach other populations.

16 Likes

Let they who are without sin and/or live in glass houses etc etc…

4 Likes