First monkey-human hybrid embryos sparking controversy among scientists

I just love the way Mel Brooks doesn’t really care too much about special effects. You can actually see Barf’s ear swinging on a hinge here

3 Likes

When asked to comment, Doctor Zaius had this to say: “I must caution you. Experimental brain surgery on these creatures is one thing, and I’m all in favor of it. But your behavior studies are another matter. To suggest that we can learn anything about the simian nature from a study of man is sheer nonsense. Why, man is a nuisance. He eats up his food supply in the forest, then migrates to our green belts and ravages our crops. The sooner he is exterminated, the better. It’s a question of simian survival.”

4 Likes

I mean, what’s the worst that could happen?

3 Likes

When I read stories like this, my thoughts immediately go to “ok if this is what the general public knows about, just imagine what’s going on behind closed doors in someplace where there’s no freedom of press/legit news sources…” China? Russia? Paraguay? Odd that there never seems to be any news coming out of Paraguay…what are they doing down there???

1 Like
3 Likes

The movie or the planet?

5 Likes

5 Likes

What could go wrong? I’m hard press to think of what could possibly go right!

2 Likes

I’m skeptical about the value of these chimeras as a model organism. Every biological model is a tradeoff for tractable experimental features vs degraded recapitulation of the human biological context. Every model has its own foibles and caveats. This model introduces several: how can we say that these chimeras are accurate representations of either human or monke biology when the cells are mixed up together? Sure, if we generalize and accept the results of human tumors implanted in “humanized mice”, we can accept coarse feature-level outcomes, but they will all come with blinking red asterisks for disclaimers for whether the findings apply to hoomans.

I’m bullish on organoids and microdoses in humans, though.

1 Like

some aspects of this may be all right i guess042021

5 Likes

Other Scientists: “Oh, they shouldn’t have done that.”

The Same Other Scientists: “Did it work?”

5 Likes
1 Like

from 2017…

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/human-pig-hybrid-embryo-chimera-organs-health-science

From Toronto…

3 Likes

Nostalgia.

I recently had to explain to GirlChild how some of her favorite cartoons are voiced by this hilarious guy from a comedy troupe, and I am ashamed to say that she just thought KITH were weird.
Thus Kevin McDonald will remain “The Almighty Tallest” to her…

2 Likes

I was recently delighted to learn that Norstrilia was still in print.

1 Like

I believe it was (maybe still is) a thing to use pig heart valves in human operations as pigs share a similar (what’s the word…) setup. Creating a pig that shares one’s own DNA probably has advantages in reducing rejection. - And you can also do a very nice stirfry with the leftovers.

1 Like

these are also things that happened

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.