Scientists successfully implanted human genes into monkeys to increase their brain mass

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/27/scientists-successfully-implanted-human-genes-into-monkeys-to-increase-their-brain-mass.html

1 Like

I, for one, welcome our future chimera overlords. Hurry up!

10 Likes

This is fine.

9 Likes
4 Likes

Or, in deconvoluted form:

It’s OK, we dissected the brain monkeys before they could be born

3 Likes

Although conducted in Germany, the study was led by a French scientist, Dr. Moreau…

9 Likes

I, for one, welcome our poo-flinging overlords.

8 Likes

Next up, shark brains!

5 Likes

20 Likes

Don’t they know what YEAR it is?!?!?

11-why-crying

9 Likes

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

8 Likes

The really model fictional model for this is Bruce Sterling’s short story “Our Neural Chernobyl,” in which the brain embiggening gene is put in a virus. Which fortunately effects very few humans (the embiggening makes humans crazy) but civilization is suddenly plagued with intelligent raccoons and coyotes, turning parts of the country into no-go zones.

Dogs, however, begin setting knocked-over garbage cans back upright. They’re on our side.

14 Likes

How do you acquire monkey fetus brains?

“Japan has similarly high ethical standards and regulations regarding animal research and animal welfare as Germany does. The brains of 101-day-old common marmoset fetuses (50 days before the normal birth date) were obtained in Japan and exported to the MPI-CBG in Dresden for detailed analysis.”

Apparently you can just obtain them. I’m pretty sure that a couple of nasty phases were left out from the description.

4 Likes

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves

Great book!

2 Likes

To say nothing ot CHEMICAL X.

Flashback_The_Rise_of_Mr_Mojo

9 Likes

Hard to imagine any possible downside.

8 Likes

powerpuff-girls-mojo-oppressed

7 Likes

Bad idea, bro…

6 Likes

We don´t need smart monkeys!
When are we getting catgirls/catboys?

5 Likes

Sharks get human brains. We get shark-fin heads. Win Win.

3 Likes