First Perseverance photo from Mars!

HD video will be slow as hell to send back to earth. But worth it, I agree.

This was also just the simple cam they use for navigating. Quick, low quality image that can be rapidly transmitted to show the results of the landing. The good cameras will start coming out soon enough once all the dust has settled.

3 Likes

Trump to claim credit and also that Martians support him in the election result in 3,2,1…

You were expecting a new housing development?

1 Like

Many argue that Viking already did, but not sufficiently definitive to make the claim.

Did 40-year-old Viking experiment discover life on Mars? (phys.org)

2 Likes

it was a tow zone

4 Likes

Well, they have more instruments on them than just the camera. Perhaps you should look through what some of the others report, because we have learned a lot since 1976.

Or maybe you’re one of the people who aren’t interested in the place unless aliens show up. I mean, that’s not entirely unfair. There’s a reason every single one of these is promoted with an astrobiology angle. But for me, the past history of the planet…what made it what it is, and so better understanding what we can expect elsewhere too…is something to for sure understand even if there’s nobody there.

3 Likes

It’s OK, not everyone can be a nerd and have nerdgasms over really cool sciency stuff. I do feel bad for them, though.

ETA: I mean, seriously, how can flying around Mars not get you excited?

On Mars, the Perseverance rover and a helicopter will roam free - Vox

6 Likes

Don’t feel bad for me, I get bored easily.

1 Like

I think he was expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

“No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!!”

3 Likes

10 Likes

10 Likes

10 Likes

my favorite so far:

11 Likes

Truer words, my friend.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Perseverance Rover’s Descent and Touchdown on Mars (Official NASA Video)
Gorgeous footage!

5 Likes

Damn, that is way too cool!

3 Likes

Holy crap is that incredible!

And dammit, I really, really want us to go back to the moon with a manned mission.

4 Likes

The Perseverance is reportedly as large as an SUV (but with more interesting handling.) !!! The real fun begins when the Ingenuity helicopter starts buzzing about.

(The mission conceptual CGI dramatically shows plumes emitting from the Sky Crane engine nozzles. In reality though…nope. :relaxed:)

By far and away the US maintains it superior record re successful Mars landings.

4 Likes