Mars Perseverance: What we know so far

Originally published at: Mars Perseverance: What we know so far | Boing Boing

7 Likes
2 Likes

“Hello, Wonderful Person!” (Anton Petrov)
I subscribe to Anton’s youtube channel, and he consistently posts fascinating, well-researched topics.

Try also “Cool Worlds” presented by Dr. David Kipping; it’s the youtube channel for the astronomy dept. at Columbia University. The only problem with Dr. Kipping, is that even though he explains concepts in a very clear and understandable manner, his voice is so beautifully soft, and melodic, I tend to drift off.

5 Likes

Makes you proud to be a member of the species that could do this.

5 Likes

I know! In just over 100 years, we’ve gone from the first airplanes, to sending probes outside the solar system.

3 Likes

NASA sends nuclear tank 293 million miles to Mars, misses landing spot by just five metres. Now watch its video

Not really that much new information - I just really like the headline.

5 Likes
3 Likes

ok…so, the 360 degree video wasnt enough for me and given the fact, that perseverance got every camera as a stereo-rig, I went to

and downloaded 180 left/right pictures from the mastcam-z and made a stereoscopic 360 degree compositing with MS Image Composite Editor (only thing which is not entirely made out of photos is the sky, cause there werent any, so I cloned most of it, sundisk is also just made up), following picture is halfsize as preview due to the upload-limitations of the board :

and here is the direct link to the via right-click downloadable full-hires version:

its made as overLeftEye/underRightEye standard-format for VR with 8000x4500 pixels, so its as sharp as it gets; you can watch this via sideloading in oculus, vive and every cardboard-based viewer on your phone that also loads pictures (not just videos).

I use for example the VR media player on android, its simple, stable, small, does a very good job on anti-drifting and its free without any ads:

start the app, tap on the cardboard-viewer-symbol in the right upper corne to provide stereo-vision, tap on the menu-bar in the left upper corner, open the gallery on the left, load the picture, choose 360°-lens and over/under, put your phone in your cardboard/samsung gear vr/whatever viewer and enyoy your trip into the jezero-crater in glourious 360 degree 3D.

(as the stereo-mastcam-cameras are 24 cm apart, you will notice a kind of enhanced depth-perception of the landscape as our eyes are only 7-8 cm apart.)

feel free to share and to spread.

edit/correction of choosing lens in vr-app

edit2/

its as sharp as it gets

I was wrong; made a new version in 14K:

better color shading, much less banding in sky, better detail, no visible seam anymore behind and much better left/right alignment for less eyestrain. loads just fine in VR media player. enjoy.

10 Likes

nice one

3 Likes

Cool. I only tried to make a “wee planet” using polar coordinates in Gimp.

3 Likes

It is. I just wish we could get our shit together here on earth…

4 Likes

when is the copter scheduled to fly?

2 Likes
1 Like

At around 3:00 he claims that this is the “first time” we’ve seen a heat shield separate, but that’s incorrect.

1 Like
1 Like

The scientists and engineers hope to fly the module for 20 or 30 seconds next month.

That’s what the APOD site said: “there has never been anything like her before. After being deployed, possibly in April”.

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap210302.html

Imagine forgetting to take off the lens cap…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.