First rioter to enter Capitol on Jan. 6 found guilty

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/02/first-rioter-to-enter-capitol-on-jan-6-found-guilty.html

14 Likes

First, this wasn’t a fucking game.

Second, even if it was a game an athlete shares in his team’s victory or defeat even if he spends most of the game on the bench.

39 Likes

“Michael Sparks may have started the game, according to the government, but he was out of the game on the sidelines before the first quarter was over,”

Did they offer a translation for non sportsball people?

14 Likes

Not much of a defense was offered: “Michael Sparks may have started the game, according to the government, but he was out of the game on the sidelines before the first quarter was over,”

“I just fired the starting pistol.” Gavrilo Prinip (not an actual quote)

Gavrilo_Princip,_cell,_headshot,_bw

22 Likes

Gosh, and only 3 years to convict. I wonder how many crimes he’s done since then.

7 Likes

“He may have started the attack on the capitol, but he stopped attacking long before the others were finished.” You can probably see why they used a metaphor.

18 Likes

July? how long will it actually take to render the sentence, 20 seconds?

9 Likes

He fought at Lexington and Concord, but he hung up his red coat before the next battle.

6 Likes

There are federal sentencing guidelines, and they can get pretty complicated They take into account things like prior offenses, and whether a weapon was used and a whole host of other things.

7 Likes

Are they saying that he’s FBI? That the FBI made him do it?

8 Likes

Er, sorry, dude; you lost me somewhere around “Nanothermite”. I’m going to have to start again. Although, if I understand correctly, what these all point to is International Jewry is to blame for everything, right? /s

1 Like
6 Likes

Are the guidelines complicated in a particularly time-consuming(further determinations of fact implied; or additional back-and-forth between the prosecution and the defense required, or the like) sort of way; or are they mechanistic enough that it’s not a small spreadsheet you need to ram values into, and there are several lookup tables; but someone who knows what needs to be plugged where can plow through it fairly readily?

1 Like

Definitely not the last one. Sentencing guidelines are just that: guidelines. They aren’t mandatory. Here’s some more info: Federal Sentencing Guidelines | Wex | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.