Fish Heads is a kooky MTV video by Barnes & Barnes from the '80s

Originally published at: Fish Heads is a kooky MTV video by Barnes & Barnes from the '80s | Boing Boing

6 Likes

A Dr. Demento classic of the era. You’ll never look at Bill Mumy the same.

26 Likes

That Dr. Demento favourite brings back good memories of my middle school years – no easy task!

I always loved the delivery of the line “Didn’t have to pay to get.it.in!”

12 Likes

Everything old is new again. (Except me, apparently.)

14 Likes

12 Likes

Perhaps the writer is too young to even know who and what Billy Mumy and “Lost in Space” was.

9 Likes

LikableTartCarpenterant-max-1mb

5 Likes

I saw it on MTV in the early 80s, and never knew Billy Mumy was involved.

7 Likes

I was familiar with this from a childhood Dr Demento compilation, but even back then I noticed it was more sophistimacated than your typical novelty track.

7 Likes

Good name for a band.

1 Like

I saw it air originally on Saturday Night Live.

9 Likes

Directed by a young Bill Paxton!

14 Likes

While I fondly remember it as part of Dr. Demento’s Top 20 Demented Video Countdown (originally it was #1 but was then pushed to #2 by Weird Al’s “Fat” which outraged my friends and I*) the first time I saw it was on Nickelodeon’s “Turkey TV”.
For anyone who remembers that show I highly recommend Poparena’s Nick Knacks episode and for that matter the whole series on the history of Nickelodeon.

*We loved Weird Al but just felt nothing could top “Fish Heads”.

7 Likes

Or even Babylon 5!

4 Likes
  1. Classic Dr. Demento staple.

2. Never saw the video until today.

3. Did not realize Bill Mumy was in Barnes and Barnes!

eta:
4) Barnes and Barnes has made a ton of albums, up to 2021??

7 Likes
8 Likes

A more complete version, with Paxton buying a fish head for personal enjoyment before the “video” begins.

17 Likes

Here is a promo for the new album.

4 Likes

Someone did, because the category is “Songs from the Cornfield.” Mumy was, famously, the kid ftom the Twilight Zone episode who wished people into the cornfield

7 Likes

Also by Barnes and Barnes:

6 Likes