Fishing trip surprise: Tiger Shark vs. Hammerhead!

Holding a smaller, tired fish on a line while another fish eats it is not cool.

Reminds me of the bully holding a dude’s arms behind his back while another coward bully punches that dude.

We weren’t watching “nature take it’s course”. We were tipping the scales for lulz and views. Not cool.

Now watch while they win awards for nature videos.

2 Likes

Right!

And the hunters that talk about respecting the animals and reverence and all of that should not be sticking up for these bros either.

I’m not Raoul, but am a fisher and hunter who only goes after things if I’m going to kill and use them. I would say it is evil, yes, to catch creatures for the primal thrill only to release them. Even if hook fishing didn’t involve maiming the fish, it would still stress them out for no good reason (“Oi, wasn’t that a thrill, pissing off that creature for a while?” “Damn right it was!”).

Exceptions for bycatch are obviously viable but bycatch reduction techniques (including basic education to know how, where & when to fish for target species) are also important. That is to say, as with driver’s licenses, I think fishing licenses should be harder to acquire. Coming from a family full of hunters & fishers, I know too many incredibly-stupid and cruel people.

If indeed they were after tuna and only got the scalloped by accident, fine, but from what I read they had it on the line for longer than necessary (“Wow, a shark! Let us gawk!”). Another part of basic good fishing practice (even in freshwater) is to remove & release non-keepers as quickly and non-injuriously as practicable, induced predation being a major reason why this is a good idea.

1 Like

I respect your points, but where did you read that? The NG article said they had it on the line for 5-10 min. While I’m not a big game fisherman, that does not seem an unreasonable time to land a 7-8’ fish, especially if they wanted it tired enough to safely unhook, and it looked pretty frisky in the video. In my experience it can easily take 5 min to tire a 15 lb bluefish enough to get near those jaws that can take off fingers. I can link to videos of experts taking that long even when they were a rush to get their hook back in the water for a more desirable striped bass. I’m sure there’s plenty of shark fishing videos of how long it takes to bring one in.

3 Likes

You’re right.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.