Fists fly, conspiracy theories abound at a Florida school board meeting

Bad enough that they may not even be from the particular school district whose meeting they derailed. This happened here when far-right loonies from outside the area took up all the available speaking slots at a school board meeting and dominated the news coverage.

6 Likes

The Little League try-outs, practice for later in the majors.

10 Likes

The way she said, “ninety nine point niiiiiine percent survive” shows me that she doesn’t understand that means 1 in 1,000 would die. Or 1,000 per million, etc.

17 Likes
12 Likes

Are they quoting a certain age range with that number? The current survival rate is 98.4% in the US, according to Johns Hopkins.

But yes - 1 in a 1000 is still pretty high.

10 Likes

I question the wisdom of putting it on CNN or widely sharing it on the internet. I assert that the more attention and light we’ve shown on these people the worse it has gotten. They should experience local resistance, and no global attention.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why school board meetings aren’t restricted (with verification) to people who actually live in the district.

18 Likes

Or that when someone takes the last ICU bed, everyone behind them in line dies. (Including non-covid patients with heart-attacks, stroke, serious injuries, etc.)

22 Likes

We could call them the Green Shirts.

greenshirt

5 Likes

Reevers. A certain percentage of white people appear to be turning into Reevers.

5 Likes

My dog, that woman with the sing-song delivery about 99.9% surviving covid really misses her heydays in high school theater or debate club. She definitely practiced that in front of a mirror, if not her bewildered children.

8 Likes

That’s not fair to Reavers. Reavers were normal folks who were changed involuntarily by the G-23 Paxilon Hydrochlorate into hyperagressive savages.

All these folks needed was a little Fox News, and to be fair, they were 95% hyperagressive and 80% savage to start with.

16 Likes

So, there are 8000 Republicans dying every ten days, vs. 2000 Democrats in the same amount of time. In other words, the Republican electorate is being killed off by the likes of Tucker Carlson and other conspiracists.

That’s so sad. There should be an outcry about this and the ones responsible for the disinformation should be held accountable.

4 Likes

5 Likes

23 Likes

This is not just a FL problem, I’m afraid…

13 Likes

9 Likes

As a chaser to all of this… could the powers that be at boing boing also post some videos of people coming to these meetings, arguing for mask mandates and standing up to the lunatics that have been created by the decay of the education system?

There have got to be some sane community members coming to these things and standing up for logic and common sense. If all people see are the idiots, I’m afraid smart people will lose hope and cede the mask arguments and school board control to the Qnuts. (I’m a Canadian, but sadly it’s happening here too).

If this shit is coming to your home town, don’t take it sitting down - if you have school board members with a spine, let them know you’ve got their back. If enough smart people speak up, they can drown these morans out.

7 Likes

We do, but it is a high risk thing. At the last really heated school board meeting I went to I had to walk a few people out to their cars because they were legitimately scared of the threat of violence. We’re expecting even worse this time around because an astroturf group is recruiting to start shit.

8 Likes

Lee County is the Florida of Florida.

2 Likes