Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

so true. if a storm blows everything away and i am left with just a bare piece of coral rock, the truck and boat insurance will pay more than the home.
shit.

12 Likes

after the sea rises, at least that boat will still work

11 Likes

well, best case is the ancient tamarind tree falls on the truck and the boat, but not the house. those get replaced, we patch the roof…
i know it’s a crapshhot every time a big one threatens. we made it through Irma with little damage, yet rebuilt to higher code a year later.
climate change gonna get us all, not just Keybillies like me too stubborn to make for higher ground. insurance ain’t gonna cover shit.

12 Likes

As usual, Second Thought gets it right:

One way or another, capitalism will be ending in our relatively near future. How it ends is the big question.

8 Likes
8 Likes

Well, that was an amazing 20 minutes.
I started off depressed.
Then my hopes got up.
Ended up depressed again.

But no, honestly, worth a watch, so thank you for posting it.

4 Likes

We can expect at least 1 foot, plausibly 3 feet, of sea level rise from Greenland alone; that’s a lower bound. If Thwaite’s Glacier slips, that generates another foot or so.

I’d be making a quiet exit from the Florida home insurance business too if it were my call.

8 Likes
6 Likes

OMG. Because they’re all in our house? :grin:

I had to go outside and move them away from our screen doors last night because they are sooooo loud.

All I know is that our lizards are huge, so I think they’re trying hard to keep the cricket population in check.

(But yeah. Pesticides and astroturf aren’t helpful.)

8 Likes

Funny you should mention crickets… :roll_eyes:

6 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

Hearing loss?

1 Like
4 Likes
7 Likes

Several week old video about how an off roader vlogger went off roading… on a regular road after it got trashed after receiving a year’s worth of rain in a single day. One part how climate change wrecks infrastructure, another part about how europeans aren’t used to america’s janky road infrastructure.

7 Likes

Well, this sucks. I mean, the interview is good, but Mike Davis is dying… :frowning_face:

8 Likes

I read that this morning.
It was… strong medicine.

There is no doubt that he’s been practically oracular in his observations.
We will miss him (those of us who have been reading and paying attention to him) very much, those of us who remain here after he is gone.

I sincerely wish him the best, not only re the time he has left, but, having now been at the bedside of the dying, the best as he lets go, heading out to his next soul adventure.

We are lucky to have had him.
May we pick up the baton he is handing us, and run well with it.

7 Likes

The nature of the study makes it impossible to assign a timeframe to this, but here it comes.

8 Likes

wax_your_board_surfs_up

4 Likes