Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

5 Likes

It made it to Montreal this morning; snowing and blowing like hell out there. It’s nice to be retired and not have to go anywhere today. :slight_smile:

9 Likes
9 Likes

The population of North Atlantic right whales has been steadily falling since 2010, and fewer than 350 are estimated to be still living. The species faces myriad threats, including entanglements in fishing gear, vessel strikes and climate change.

12 Likes

They give birth off the coast of my state… The past couple of years the number of babies born are big news in the local NPR statement…

8 Likes

https://archive.ph/https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2022/12/20/epa-truck-pollution/

8 Likes

“Encouraging” is probably not the word for this, but i guess i will settle for “not as bad as it could be?”

4 Likes

It bugs me that everyone has more crud in their lungs, that effects literally every breath, due to unregulated pollution, and people still vote against pollution controls. It’s like someone else forcing you to smoke a few cigarettes a year, and people are like, eh, nbd.

6 Likes

Just checked the weather a few minutes ago. It’s 17F in Austin, TX and 25F in Buffalo, NY and in the Buffalo area you have supermarkets tweeting that they’re closing their stores early because of the blizzard.

Texas is screwed once again this winter.

11 Likes

We are closing our office early due to wet roads and temp dropping 300 F in the next few hours. Ice is never OK.

10 Likes

get home, stay home and stay sare and stay warm…
everybody!
there won’t be any ice here, but we’re breaking out the fleece and blankies as we get a rare low-50s overnight. brrrr!

6 Likes

Ambulances and fire trucks all night long, I’m assuming due to car accidents and pedestrian mishaps.

And then the weather started getting really bad today.

Stay in, stay warm, and cancel everything if you have to. There will be other holidays.

8 Likes
4 Likes
9 Likes

“South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem has mobilised the state’s National Guard to haul firewood from a nearby national forest to the Oglala Sioux Tribe and the Rosebud Sioux Tribe.“

Well - get to it Gov! Maybe fire up some big helicopters to drop supplies while you’re at it.

6 Likes

A startup says it’s begun releasing particles into the atmosphere, in an effort to tweak the climate

Former director of hardware at Y Combinator meddles in geoengineering for fun & profit.
My spidey scammy sense is tingling a bit.

14 Likes

I guess anyone effected by his actions can sue?

3 Likes

“Look! We’re (pretending to) fix the climate problem, so there’s no need for these environmental restrictions against the unlimited use of private property, like our coal mines! Drill, dig and burn, baby!”

6 Likes

Finally, a practical use for such vehicles in the mainland US

9 Likes

Emperor penguin at risk of extinction, along with two-thirds of native Antarctic species, research shows | Antarctica | The Guardian

8 Likes