Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

5 Likes

Looks like self repairing concrete is going to be making a comeback (and with it a much better long term carbon footprint)

13 Likes

Didn’t click through. Is the mystery ingredient Blood of the Enslaved?

7 Likes

-30.6 degrees Fahrenheit

In contrast, Utsjoki also recorded one of last year’s highest temperatures, 32.5 degrees, in late June.

90,5 degrees Fahrenheit

Utsjoki is about 300 km further north.

7 Likes

I just remember tha -40o is the same in both scales and work from there. That is technically fucking cold!

7 Likes

From 80°C (176°F) sauna to -34.8°C that’s just hundred degrees but in F it’s 200 degree drop in temperature.

6 Likes

During our latest freeze in Chicago we were down to -34ºC with over 10,000 homeless people on the streets on any given day.

4 Likes

That would totally explain why the recipe was “lost”… :thinking:

History Of The World Whatever GIF

5 Likes

Erosion accelerating due to climate change:

8 Likes

The U.S. has sustained 341 weather and climate disasters since 1980 where overall damages/costs reached or exceeded $1 billion (including CPI adjustment to 2022). The total cost of these 341 events exceeds $2.475 trillion .

In 2022, there were 18 weather/climate disaster events with losses exceeding $1 billion each to affect the United States. These events included 1 drought event, 1 flooding event, 11 severe storm events, 3 tropical cyclone events, 1 wildfire event, and 1 winter storm event. Overall, these events resulted in the deaths of 474 people and had significant economic effects on the areas impacted. The 1980–2022 annual average is 7.9 events (CPI-adjusted); the annual average for the most recent 5 years (2018–2022) is 17.8 events (CPI-adjusted).

10 Likes

Soil fungus infections are spreading

7 Likes

I trained in the histo capital of the western world in Morgantown WV. It is nothing to take lightly. In the very old and very young it is an easy death sentence. Antifungals are hard on the body, with fungi being evolutionarily very close to animals, and things that kill them are bad for us too. Never dealt with the other two, but I suspect not any better.

10 Likes

valley fever is a fungal lung infection common to the southwest, most notably the Phoenix metro valley. supposedly lives in the dry, sandy soil (go figure. spore forming, perhaps?) and is especially dangerous during monsoon season when the haboobs pop up out of the southeast and brown out the sky.
i knew several people who had contracted the infection, one even lost a large portion of one lung due to the damage.
honestly, i don’t know how i escaped it, or why every single person in that hellhole hasn’t got it.

10 Likes
8 Likes
8 Likes

I used to go to annual meetings for certain oil & gas entities where they would have the same Exxon speaker every year saying the same PR about how great the industry was and even bigger days were ahead. I would point out to the execs I was there with that Exxon the company was acting very differently than what they were urging on the smaller/mid-sized companies in the industry. But, you know: a woman, from a big northern city, etc. etc. I wasn’t worth listening to.

10 Likes

11 Likes

As weird as it sounds, this is part of a deal pushed by the Green party to shut down all of the power plants fuelled by the lignite from that area (West) in 2030 instead of 2038. Sparing five other villages that were already slated to be demolished. But combined with keeping two plants that were to be shut down at the end of last year up and running until March 2024 (when the new LNG terminals at the North Sea coast are ready).
But the lignite mining/power station combos in the East will probably be in operation until 2038.

(I’ve been preaching renewables to everybody who wouldn’t hear it for 30 years or so. This is unsatisfactory.)

10 Likes

Fucking bizarro world.

6 Likes

Self-driving car computers may be ‘as bad’ for emissions as datacenters

If widely adopted, self-driving cars are going to introduce another source of unaccounted-for carbon emissions that could surpass those of the world’s current complement of datacenters: The computer brains that power them.

This, of course, assumes self-driving cars capable of level 4 or 5 autonomy are actually realized, but the trio of MIT researchers behind the findings say the framework they’ve built to model carbon emissions from computers inside autonomous vehicles (AV) should call attention to hidden carbon costs and help the auto industry plan for a greener future.

[…]

6 Likes