Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

Renewables, renewables, renewables.

6 Likes
8 Likes

The positronic brains required for that level of autonomy seemed pretty energy efficient. From what I’ve read, emissions from self-awaredriving cars will be the least of their problems

4 Likes
7 Likes
9 Likes

See also: Jordan Peterson: He’s too smart for it to be accidental.

4 Likes

German cops roll an incredibly bad roll in their campaign to clear a village for a coal mine.

8 Likes

The Industrial Revolution only started about 40 years prior to that…right about where the lowest part of that incline started, in fact. So yeah, let’s see what the next 140 years look like, Jordan, or else I do have a problem with your chart.

4 Likes

:thinking:

6 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, he’s got a WIS of 3, but he’s widely read, he’s erudite (he’s not a good writer, but he puts what he knows on the page, whether or not it’s true or even meaningful), and they don’t give out doctorates in psychology in cereal boxes.

(I mean, sure, it’s obvious he doesn’t understand the first thing about most of the subjects he’s convinced himself he’s an expert in, but he’s at least really good at looking convincingly like he’s read it. Linus Pauling was wrong about many, many, many things as well, and also clearly did not understand many of the things he declared himself an expert in, and he also was not an idiot.)

So: given that he’s not an idiot, everything that comes out of his mouth and/or keyboard is either the result of him running in little epistemological circles, more sophistry than argument, (that is, he’s arguing himself into knots) or it’s laziness (his sources more often than not prove the opposite of what he’s using them to claim), it’s deliberate, or all three.

Just because he’s smart, that doesn’t, in any way, make him right.

3 Likes

There’s no saying what his current capabilities are with that disastrous medical intervention he received.

5 Likes

Don’t forget the excessive confidence of a mediocre white man. His cocksure performance of that confdence while “owning the libs” may well be the majority of the appeal he holds for his insecure fanbois.

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1614748052044005377

The Facebook post’s version of the graph closely resembles one posted by a LinkedIn user six years ago. In both the tweet and the LinkedIn post, the graph is marked “Copyright: Joseph Toomey” and the data is attributed to “R. B. Alley” or Richard B. Alley, a professor of geosciences at Penn State University.

Prof Alley described the graph in an email to AAP FactCheck as a “zombie that just won’t die”. He pointed to a debunk by Andrew Revkin for the New York Times blog Dot Earth in 2010 and a fact check by Carbon Brief in 2019.

11 Likes

Good news bad news:

11 Likes

Saharan dust over the Atlantic is said to have curbed an otherwise active hurricane season.

9 Likes

That is very interesting. I was hoping the hurricanes blowing in from the Gulf would end our drought.

Instead, our well is almost dry and we are almost a mile from a surfacewater pipeline. We’d be trenching through a lot of limestone, some of it solid shelf.

7 Likes

This sounds like good news.

11 Likes

Also sounds like a reason for the deniers to ignore the ongoing problem. “Don’t worry, eventually the rains will come” is not a sustainable solution.

12 Likes

Hey man, it works for lungfish.

3 Likes

When I hear news like this, it gives me flashbacks to this recent video. I’m still trying to picture it…

6 Likes