Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

It’s too hot and humid to have a marathon… in Minnesota… in early October…

6 Likes

article one year ago;

Bad weather caused by climate change is already hitting the world of traditional competitive sports. Torrential rain muddies playing fields. Endless droughts dry them out. Games and practices are being moved indoors, played in evenings, or canceled entirely due to heat. Enduring high temperatures was once seen as a measure of toughness; now, avoiding those conditions is a matter of basic physical safety.

nightsports becoming the norm in coming years and decades?

4 Likes

Farmers still trying to grow in the desert, no matter how you look at it.

4 Likes

the west wing Alison Janney GIF

8 Likes

Maybe some of them are not lost causes. But i suspect those got out long ago…

5 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes
6 Likes

A landslide has destroyed a village in the Amazon State, Brazil. Experts believe the severe drought could make the tragedy worse.

3 Likes

2 Likes

8 Likes
8 Likes
8 Likes
4 Likes

Omnipresent…

2 Likes

There have been three statistically one-in-100-year droughts in the space of a single decade

The South American monsoon, which determines the climate of much of the continent, is being pushed towards a “critical destabilisation point”, according to a study that links regional rainfall to Amazon deforestation and global heating.

The authors of the report said they found their results “shocking” and urged policymakers to act with urgency to forestall a tipping point, which could result in up to 30% less rainfall, a dieback of the forest and a dire impact on food production

7 Likes

… I put microplastic links in “This Is Fine”

2 Likes
5 Likes

Scary.

Since the beginning of the last decade I have been reading about this in Brazilian newspapers. I live in Rio de Janeiro and experts say that without the Amazon Forest, southeastern Brazil would have a climate similar to that of the semi-arid northeastern region. Instead of the lush Atlantic Forest, we would have a kind of savannah.

These same experts do not use the term monsoons, the press usually replicates their statements that say that the humid winds of the Amazon are true flying rivers and allow activities such as agriculture to prosper. Without these “rivers”, life here would be much more difficult.

https://riosvoadores.com.br/english/the-flying-rivers-phenomenon/

http://www.ccst.inpe.br/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/The_Future_Climate_of_Amazonia_Report.pdf

ETA

10 Likes

“This is not about our grandchildren, this is not about the polar bears, this is not about someplace far away. This is affecting us right now ,” says Marvel. “What the science says is that every tenth of a degree matters. Every ton of emissions that can be avoided matters. If the world passes 1.5, then you shoot for 1.6. If it passes 1.6, you shoot for 1.7. And I think we now know after this year how 1.5 is not safe.”

For the record, September was 1.8oC above the pre-industrial mean. Not that TPTB care, or anything…

7 Likes