Floor-mat tycoon buys world's most expensive car - a 1963 Ferrari 250 GTO for $70 million

That’s cool and all, but the floor mats for that model cost $73 million.

5 Likes

If I see him on the road, I will totally t-bone him, or rear end him such as the opportunity presents itself. He can collect policy limits from my liability policy.

1 Like

I see you’ve shopped for Weathertech before…

2 Likes

Raising ‘em up. Waxin’ 'em down.

It’s very pretty, but if I had $70 million to spend on a car, I would have Porsche build me a one-of-a-kind state of the art model, as they have done for other well-heeled enthusiasts.

1 Like

If you can afford to lay out that amount, repair and service costs are irrelevant.

It was a joke like object.

4 Likes

Fine, but that’s a vanity project, these cars were built to race, and have a long history and a pedigree that your vanity toy will never, ever match.

Just you and your pygmy pony…

1 Like

Um, I can see where you might think that, but you’d be wrong.

Check out the 1992 Porsche 959s (six of them were built, all apparently for one guy) or the single street-legal 935 that was built for a Saudi sheik. Absolutely built to race, only better, and with a pedigree that no Ferrari can touch :slight_smile:

The Ferrari is prettier, no doubt. But for $70 million I could get that beauty painstakingly duplicated and put a far, far better car underneath the pretty.

2 Likes

That’s a point well made, and sadly most of these cars will seldom, if ever, get driven, let alone driven in anger. Nick Mason actually races his, which I’ve seen at his home on a number of occasions; he opens the gardens to raise money for charity and has various of his cars scattered around, which usually includes a number of his Ferrari’s, an old tractor, a WW2 Jeep, Alfa 8C, three 1930’s Aston Martin racing cars, his, his wife’s and his daughter’s, all of which are raced, and another of his Ferrari’s is raced by him and his wife.
His 250 GTO carries the registration 250GTO, which is possibly one of the most valuable car registration plates in the world.

4 Likes

I’m sorry, I want a Ferrari

(Astonishingly, the song does not appear to be on youtube)

2 Likes

I’d prefer to drive around in the change from that transaction:

7 Likes

most least.

3 Likes

70M???

Does it travel back and forth in time?

8 Likes

Seriously, how interesting could “floor mat tycoon” possibly be?

2 Likes

I was gonna say. For overspending an insane amount on a car one can’t do much better than that one.

2 Likes

Having driven one of those before I can say that is also an excellent option.

1 Like

I heard a Ferrari 250 ( not a GTO ) “in real life” once. What a sound. Have you seen the Petrolicious videos on the GTO? Phil Hill’s son Derek presents and drives. https://youtu.be/ewQaikxTUJs

1 Like
3 Likes

With that kind of cash, I’d go to Rinspeed and ask Frank to build me something nice.

https://www.rinspeed.eu/en/

1 Like