Florida bride served marijuana-laced lasagna, sending guests to the hospital

Marijuana may not be life-threatening but wow, this is a wildly irresponsible and mean thing to do, and I don’t only mean the involuntary altering of their mental state. A friend of mine got violently ill from using legal, high-quality recreational marijuana, and that was a voluntary dose and setting she had full control over. It’s not for everybody. And in Florida it’s not even legal for recreational use, so I hope none of those guests had job interviews within the next week that required testing. Hopefully that bride has a lot fewer friends now and that caterer is out of a job, in addition to legal consequences.

10 Likes

7 Likes

And potentially life-threatening. What if a guest was driving away from the wedding reception when they suddenly got hit with the full effect of the edibles? Even someone who had experience driving while buzzed might lose control if they had no idea it was coming.

15 Likes

I meant directly life-threatening, in the sense you can die from drinking too much alcohol but not from ingesting too much marijuana (at least, not an amount a human can realistically contain at once). But yeah, operating heavy machinery under the influence, I agree is definitely dangerous and potentially lethal.

5 Likes

Less relevant here than to the story where it was shared last year, but… resharing.

Not presenting… so here

5 Likes

Not true…

You tell them it’s in the main course, that way when you get the munchies, you’re not going OD because you ate 4 servings of desert.

2 Likes

It sounds like they weren’t aware it was cannabis in their system. They just knew their body started acting alarmingly weird, and we’re probably in a state to feel extra anxious about it, which makes a hospital visit make sense.

5 Likes

I hope this was one of those “no kids” weddings. That would be super fucked up if there were kids there.

Also, can you imagine getting fired for failing a drug test because you went to a wedding?

6 Likes

There’s no mention of the groom (or second bride, the story doesn’t say) in the news story, but usually couples plan the reception meals together. Maybe she’s just covering for her new spouse, but if she made this decision on her own and didn’t mention it ahead of time it doesn’t bode well for the whole open-communication aspect of a good marriage.

3 Likes

“Orlando caterer Joycelyn Bryant, 31, (r) and 42-year-old bride Danya Shea Svoboda — also referred to as Danya Shea Glenny — were arrested on Saturday and charged with culpable negligence, delivery of marijuana and violating Florida’s Anti-Tampering Act, according to incident reports supplied by the Seminole County Sheriff’s Office.”

7 Likes

That article contained a lot more details but still no mention of the new spouse. Weird.

2 Likes

I assume (hope) that means they’re innocent in all of this

Yeah. It’s assault.

She roophied all of them. Asshole should have legal consequences.

8 Likes

Are they still available for catering?
Mother’s Day is coming up

2 Likes

I also hope that’s the case, but if not it definitely wouldn’t be the first time that a woman took the fall for a partner’s drug offenses. The federal prison system is full of such women.

(Not that I see any evidence that this woman is innocent, mind you. Just that it would be extra weird if she did this without her spouse even knowing about it.)

1 Like

Here’s a video of this story including body cam video from the police where the bride and groom are questioned.

1 Like

Other than the obvious crime of drugging people witghout their knowledge, putting drugs of any kind in food is just stupid. “MMmmm, this lasagna is great, I’m going to have seconds!”

2 Likes

Yeah, don’t drug people without their knowledge, it just makes it harder for any of it to be legalized. Also, food can be deceptive, some pot brownies were making its way (decades ago) around a party, and a friend commented that they weren’t terribly strong . . . a warning sign if I’d ever heard one, as he’d just eaten three. Needless to say, I spent a couple of hours shepherding his ass and a few others while they realized that while these didn’t taste particularly strong, but were quite potent, indeed.

3 Likes

The first time I ever had edibles, we’d made a batch of pot brownies in college. When the munchies kicked in, the only thing to eat was the brownies, and we decimated them. That turned into a really weird night. I was kind of freaked out by the intensity, and if I hadn’t known they were drugged it would’ve been truly scary. The bride and caterer made a horrible, dangerous decision.

6 Likes

Out to be some interesting civil suits out of this if anyone loses work or other problems due to a drug test being failed and the cost of those ER visits.

I held a security clearance in my working days and could be subject to random drug tests. Would have cost me my clearance at a minimum.

3 Likes