Florida cop accused of false drugs arrests held on $1 million bond

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/01/florida-cop-accused-of-false-d.html

7 Likes

is petit theft at typo?
surely Petty

1 Like

floridabb

9 Likes

One of the reasons most law enforcement organizations favor drug prohibition is that it gives them a reason to arrest (or in some cases, shake down) people who pose no danger to society.

Specifically poor, young, and brown people. Other folks are mostly just icing.

5 Likes

Nope, petit theft is a thing.

In Florida, the lowest level theft offense is called " petit theft ", rather than the more commonly known “ petty theft .” If the property stolen is valued at less than $100, the offender commits petit theft of the second degree, which is a misdemeanor of the second degree. (Fla. Stat.

via https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/

12 Likes

Midget_ceb063_1564656

14 Likes

Its some solace that most assholes that would do this sort of thing are also stupid and get caught at it.
Its less comforting that police forces often act as a screwed up selector, not removing all that abuse their power, but only the ones too dumb to hide it.

Ah, interesting

Man, it’s a good thing he’s the only cop doing that. It’s okay everyone, they got him. We can all sleep easy.

10 Likes

While my first thought reading “petit” was equal, being fluent in french where this means “small” I was appalled by a “typo” making sense in this context …

Well, well. One of those situations where absolutely nothing except my interest in rule of law would oblige me to be upset were certain oversights in the completeness of protective custody to be discovered and exploited…

Indeed. I saw this, and thought it was a story I saw about a month ago, and BB was late to the party, but it turns out this is a different Florida cop who was planting drugs on people.

1 Like

The ever useful etymonline.com tells me that’s because they’re directly related:

petty (adj.)
late 14c., “small,” from phonemic spelling of Old French petit “small” (see petit). In English, not originally disparaging (as still in petty cash, 1834; petty officer, 1570s). Meaning “of small importance” is recorded from 1520s; that of “small-minded” is from 1580s.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.