Florida family, including kids and pregnant mom, sickened by LSD-tainted beef

Maybe they were using paper plates and it was on the plates not the beef? Just a guess.

5 Likes

Obviously WalMart mislabeled it - it wasn’t beef, it was mule.

20 Likes

Should have kept quiet…now everyone will want LSD beef…

5 Likes

Wow. A shame they didn’t know until later that the cause of the hallucinations was LSD - the emergency delivery, which I imagine would have been quite traumatic, would probably have turned out to be unnecessary.

4 Likes

Good grief, that’s horrible. What could someone get out of doing that? Gah.

I understand the desire to take hallucinogens oneself, but what’s the point of giving them to unsuspecting people, especially children?!? As for the pregnant woman, I don’t know whether the LSD would have any impact on the kid-in-utero, but maternal stress isn’t good for 'em, and getting dosed must be stressful – even more if you’ve never tripped before.

1 Like

Shame on Boing Boing! Forwarding scare headlines helps nobody!

LSD would disintegrate in cooking. Police drug tests are notoriously incorrect.

This ‘LSD Beef from Wal-Mart’ scare headline is based on the word of one police officer. I have no doubt that they ate something that sickened them, but the idea that somebody went in and so thoroughly soaked a piece of meat in LSD that it survived the cooking process and got everyone in a family is straight out of ‘reefer madness’.

60 Likes

THANK YOU.

Seriously, BB, WTF, and other all caps expressions of disappointment.

4 Likes

Good point. Being sick from a terrible infection can make you hallucinate as well, amongst other things.

3 Likes

Who the hell would waste good LSD like that?

10 Likes

What with LSD being a fragile chemical, the ignorant speculation by law enforcement, the mass hysteria aspect, credulous reportage, and did the whole family all eat the same piece of meat, seriously?
I’m not buying it. It smells like ‘Batboy’ to me.

11 Likes

So apparently not everyone knew to avoid the brown meat.

15 Likes

Maybe we’d best ask the CIA why they used to think it was worth doing to people?

1 Like

Me neither. LSD breaks down very fast at cooking temperatures. It reminds me of those stories in the 60’s warning school kids to avoid the ‘stickers’ laced with LSD that hippys would just ‘give away’ to kids.

More likely explanation. It was in the house already and the kids got into and this is a cover story.

1 Like

One should always stick to the True Black Meat.

7 Likes

I’m expecting to see this show up in email chains and then on Snopes.

4 Likes

Or a crazy neighbour/relative/random Floridian spiked 'em some other way. If, as has been said, there was any acid anywhere. I dunno about the states, but it’s canny hard to find here these days.

Wait, you can email acid?

3 Likes

The story says steak. Rare steak doesn’t get cooked that much in the center (hence the phrase “cold-center steak”). I would hold off on dismissing the possibility that the meat was tainted prior to cooking until we have more information.

3 Likes

witch hunt! witch hunt!

1 Like

Seems like pretty wild speculation that the family was dosed intentionally. If I had to guess I’d say it was more likely that there was a naturally occurring compound that they ingested that caused the reaction - did anyone check the pastrami on rye bread sandwiches they had for lunch? or the mushrooms in the salad?

3 Likes