Florida homes invaded by scurrying onslaught of land crabs

that is fucking disgusting!!! filming in vertical like that

11 Likes

That’s good, but if that doesn’t work out, I – an Aquarian – will use science to save your biscuits!

5 Likes

Thanks!
b57769e9abd38a46eb5b6730601a0474

12 Likes

It’s like the scariest test when Spike goes to prove he should be OK to bone Buffy.

1 Like

25 Likes

Probably. But as mammals, the shells aren’t terribly digestible, and there’s not a ton of meat on smaller specimens like this.

You’d have to keep them in captivity and harvest them when they molt (this is what “softshell crabs” are). There’s a narrow window where the shell will still be soft, I think it’s just a couple hours. You have to kill them then, and store them for use later.

Probably a worthwhile effort if you have a lot of time on your hands, but not as a random tasty treat.

10 Likes

Thank you, that was my first question. My second question was, “Don’t raccoons/giant swamp snakes/dogs like the taste?”

6 Likes

Gumbo. Whack them a couple times on the side of the bucket to knock the mud off, then toss them right into the pot.

12 Likes

giphy|nullxnull

32 Likes

You call those land crabs?

Phtooey, The Pacific laughs at those puny little specimens

32 Likes

I’ve seen this amount of crabs before growing up in Venezuela. There was a beach we’d go to once in a blue moon where some family had an apartment, and you’d see this number of crabs roaming around regularly. It was kinda cool but also kind of weird.

12 Likes
9 Likes

Chowderheads’ paradise!

5 Likes

Did the US try to weaponize crabs?

10 Likes

We don’t go to Port St. Lucie anymore? Did we ever?

2 Likes

Clancy Brown’s most recognized role

7 Likes

Horror #5.

They are actually an outbreak of Florida crotch crabs. Big problem down there.

2 Likes

No thanks.

Did no-one heed the warnings of Guy N. Smith?

11 Likes

I thought that was armadillos…

5 Likes