Florida man arrested after walking into an accidentally unlocked bank after hours and finding nothing to steal

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/21/florida-man-arrested-after-walking-into-an-accidentally-unlocked-bank-after-hours-and-finding-nothing-to-steal.html

3 Likes

“Dangit, even the pens are chained down!”

23 Likes

john travolta GIF

19 Likes

Given that he ran across the street to buy a mask before re-entering and he was rummaging around, it’s hard to claim that his intentions were innocent. But I wasn’t actually sure he’d committed a crime by walking into a public business through an unlocked front door, so I dug around a little.

Apparently, “breaking and entering” depends on intent rather than actually circumventing some safeguard to enter. So they don’t have to prove that the person actually committed a crime while inside the building, but they do have to prove that there was intent to do so. Which going across the street to buy a mask first probably does.

12 Likes

You know how, when media gives the name of a criminal (alleged or proven) they announce the full name to avoid cases of mistaken identity? Ex: Lee Harvey Oswald; John Wilkes Booth.

Well, not with Colton Vanhonhenstien.

10 Likes

Door left unlocked? Drop the charges! It’s clearly the fault of the bank. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

the alarm company later told police that “they waited one hour before calling”
yeah that sounds about right, in my experience with commercial alarm companies

5 Likes

Maybe the bank was behind in payment?

3 Likes

Maybe he was just doing his part to prevent the spread of Covid.

But seriously, I’m anxiously awaiting the follow-up story about which bank and alarm monitoring company employee(s) will be fired, if not charged with negligence or willfully enabling the opportunity for anybody to waltz in.

1 Like

The twist would be that an insider left the bank open on purpose to facilitate a theft, but the guy ruined the plan.

2 Likes

Way early in our cleaning company career we had a contract to clean 3 banks after hours.

People would ask us about the security, they were always surprised when we told them no alarm system on the building. The vault, sure, but the building? Nope, nothing to really steal.

We showed up several times to find the door unlocked because they forgot.

Very rarely would a cop knock on the door very late at night or early in the morning to see what we were up to.

2 Likes

“Oh, you want Colton Q Vanhonhenstein.”

3 Likes

5 Likes

Quashawn?

1 Like

In which case he should be thanked, congratulated and rewarded!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.