Florida man steals candles, uses bear spray on bystanders

Originally published at: Florida man steals candles, uses bear spray on bystanders | Boing Boing

7 Likes

This is too rich as an absurdist sentence - Florida Man commits multiple felonies with bear spray while stealing candles.

11 Likes

The suspect was las seen leaving the mall in a taxi, and his identity is still unknown.

Well, this is some pro-level planning! Probably taxi to the private airfield, private jet to a South American country for plastic surgery. Then off to whatever part of the world values scented candles at millions of dollars each, lay low and live off the proceeds.

20 Likes

Being inside one of those stores makes me feel like I was maced.

11 Likes

This season of Florida Man is becoming increasingly implausible…

16 Likes

19 Likes

Why do people keep using bear spray as a fucking weapon on other people… stop that.

15 Likes

I can’t bear it any longer.

6 Likes

giphy
can’t be posted often enough, it seems

7 Likes

10 Likes

Joe Dirt GIF by memecandy

5 Likes

He could have used a bear and then they could have escaped by bicycle.

3 Likes

my little pony rimshot GIF

5 Likes

You seem a bit grizzly about it. Whereas I am the polar opposite.

5 Likes
4 Likes

This may be insulting to people who wear/have worn mullets.

3 Likes

tumblr_inline_mh0lpb5zfo1qaa9rq540

4 Likes

I feel so very jaded that the most surprising thing about that story (to me) was that there were 15 employees of a Bath and Body Works! On the same shift!
Up around these parts, 2, 3 tops.

7 Likes

Most are part of the Candle Defense League.

5 Likes

Once you’ve decided to be an antisocial person, bear spray has a number of “advantages” over “self defense pepper spray.”

That said, bear deterrent and self-defense pepper sprays have some important differences: Most bear sprays boast a capsaicin content of 2 percent, compared with 1.2 to 1.4 percent in most self-defense products, according to the nonprofit BearWise. The strength of peppers is measured in Scoville heat units, or SHUs, which is the number of cups of sugar water it would take to fully neutralize the spice. A habanero pepper, among the hottest out there, has roughly 200,000 SHUs. Standard pepper sprays have around 1 million SHUs, while bear sprays pack 3 million SHUs, so it’s about three times as potent as the self-defense products.

It’s also dispensed more widely and forcefully, the experts agreed. Bear deterrents dispense in a fog pattern — vs. the stream output of many pepper sprays — making it more likely that the capsaicin will get into an aggressive animal’s eyes, nose and throat. Bear sprays are also pressurized to travel farther — 30 to 35 feet — than the smaller self-defense products.
Bear spray is sold widely online and in outdoors stores in the United States — with no restrictions. In Canada, you must be at least 18 to buy bear spray, and it may be sold only by authorized vendors who maintain proper sales records, including a purchaser’s name and address, the amount purchased and a signed agreement that stipulates the legal uses of the product and liability.

4 Likes