Watch: Man records bear following him in a forest before using pepper spray

Originally published at: Watch: Man records bear following him in a forest before using pepper spray | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Scary headline. Being followed by a bear through a forest is bad enough even when the bear isn’t armed with pepper spray.

35 Likes

Did the spray even hit the bear or did he react to the hissing sound, maybe previous experience. Do bears understand English? Maybe Russian would be the better language to use.

10 Likes

STARDENBURDENHARDENBART!

9 Likes

Big kudos to this guy for creating a sharable clip for the sake of better awareness.

5 Likes

Clearly, this bear was aiming to make some fresh video content by showing off its climbing skills. At one point, the look on its face plainly says “hold my beer.”

2 Likes

to be honest, i’d be saying things like “good bear, good bear…” too. or maybe more correctly, “…please be a good bear, please be a good bear…”

3 Likes

Finnish works;

12 Likes

Hmm, advice I’ve always seen is to shout, make noise and wave your arms/generally try to look bigger, not to talk to the bear in a calming voice…

5 Likes

Where was this? He describes it as a black bear but it looks a lot lighter than the typical east coast black bear.

Willing to bet he had something nice smelling on him like peanut butter.

2 Likes

It’s probably from watching too many movies, but I kept waiting for the Jurassic Park “clever girl” moment, when the other bear ambushes from the side.

7 Likes

I was wondering something similar as I don’t think the spray directly hit the bear. I’d guess the scent alone may have been a deterrent. I’m especially glad to see the spraying was as a level appropriate to the situation and not like something you’d see from a cop towards an Antifa protester. This bear looked more curious than actually aggressive, but it’s probably best to not test that too much!

7 Likes

You guys are missing out on all the cool varieties.

https://wiseaboutbears.org/black-bears/

6 Likes

We call it ‘bear spray’ and they call it ‘human spray’. Manufacturer doubles their profit.

3 Likes

Yeah but I suspect a lot of those California bears aren’t natural blondes.

11 Likes

When in bear country, always carry a whistle, so you can alert them to your presence.

Additionally, local bear types can be identified by their scat:
Brown bear scat is usually in smallish, round lumps.
Black bear scat looks like dog poop.
Grizzly bear scat has whistles in it.

16 Likes

I came out of the outhouse at the cottage a few years ago to find that my dog had treed a bear. Not a cub, fortunately, so there was no angry mama around. It jumped down and ran away after I called the dog off. I suspect the dog was Lab/Mountain Cur cross, as he was most un-Lab-like and ticked all the boxes for a Mountain Cur, including being fearless. They have been used in the Appalachians to tree everything from squirrels, up to and including bears. For the rest of the day, he did a lot of Rin Tin Tin posing on tree stumps and rocks;

14 Likes

Bears are generally solo hunters.

2 Likes

Cool dog!

Say, someone should write a song about that dog…

4 Likes

Mmmm…Teddy Grahams.

7 Likes