Florida police raided home of Rebekah Jones, former health employee who said she was fired for refusing to manipulate COVID-19 data

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/07/florida-police-raided-home-of-rebekah-jones-former-health-employee-who-said-she-was-fired-for-refusing-to-manipulate-covid-19-data.html

12 Likes

Conservatives and Libertarians usually so concerned about the oppressive state and the Road to Serfdom: sound of crickets.

100 Likes

Health precautions during a pandemic are allegedly fascism.
Actual Fascism is OK with them. A Libertarian is just a neo-nazi who thinks they are being clever.

83 Likes

“That’s libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” – Kim Stanley Robinson

This is a case in point.

83 Likes

I expect the NRA to start posting angry screeds about jack-booted government thugs any time now… yup, just a few minutes now… it’ll be soon… yup, soon… any moment now…

35 Likes

This is no doubt revenge (and an attempt to identify leakers) for that expose the Guardian reported on Friday.

22 Likes

The Greedy Old Pedos have been fascists for a long time. The Gibbertarians rushed to the head of the line.

10 Likes

There it is! The sign for all true patriots™ to grab their guns and over…guys? Hey, we’ve got a tyrant over here.

Guys?

31 Likes

But she refused to answer her door for 20 minutes! At 8:30 AM!

If I start banging on the doors one of these public offices at 8:30 AM, I bet I’d be there for at least 30 minutes before even security gets there. Then they’d tell me to piss off which is what this brave lady did.

And if I pointed a gun at them? Yeah…things probably wouldn’t have gone so great but the story would be in the news and I’d be somewhere else. Because I don’t have a shiny badge.

20 Likes

Huh? Anybody got a link?

3 Likes

That depends on the type of libertarian; Noam Chomsky isn’t a neo-Nazi. Civil libertarianism is not the same as fiscal libertarianism, although I find much of it as unworkable as its fiscal ugly sibling.

2 Likes

Candace Owens is thinking “see, that’s how you comply with officers. Just let them draw rifles on your children.”
Celebrate Federal Agents illegally in Portland. Celebrate California Sheriff’s who refuse to enforce lockdown measures. Defend the officers that murdered Breonna Taylor. And defend these officers that drew guns on children.
Loud Minority, Lacks Morals.

10 Likes

Thia is what a quick search got me

26 Likes

Quick! Cover-up the evidence!

5 Likes

I had this backwards at first - it was published without enough commentary or context for me to fully ‘get it’.

My first take was: I thought this was an article about someone claiming Covid case numbers were being faked and inflated, and that they were claiming to have proof, and got shut down by the “Plandemic hoax conspiracy”.

It’s got the same sort of whistleblower-as-martyr vibe as many of those sorts of articles. Articles I’ve been reading and debunking for months. So I found myself adopting a kind of “Yeah, right” attitude and dismissing what, at first, I was assuming were false, exaggerated, or misleading claims. Reading the Guardian article from here in the comments flipped that all on its head… This is a person trying to speak out about suppression of actual medical data and sound medical advice, I take it.

I’m growing more skeptical of everything by the day, it’s kind of hard to know what’s real anymore.

9 Likes

Thanks, this puts it in perspective for me

1 Like

I was shooting heroin and reading “The Fountainhead” in the front seat of my privately owned police cruiser when a call came in. I put a quarter in the radio to activate it. It was the chief.

“Bad news, detective. We got a situation.”

“What? Is the mayor trying to ban trans fats again?”

“Worse. Somebody just stole four hundred and forty-seven million dollars’ worth of bitcoins.”

The heroin needle practically fell out of my arm. “What kind of monster would do something like that? Bitcoins are the ultimate currency: virtual, anonymous, stateless. They represent true economic freedom, not subject to arbitrary manipulation by any government. Do we have any leads?”

“Not yet. But mark my words: we’re going to figure out who did this and we’re going to take them down … provided someone pays us a fair market rate to do so.”

“Easy, chief,” I said. “Any rate the market offers is, by definition, fair.”

He laughed. “That’s why you’re the best I got, Lisowski. Now you get out there and find those bitcoins.”

“Don’t worry,” I said. “I’m on it.”

I put a quarter in the siren. Ten minutes later, I was on the scene. It was a normal office building, strangled on all sides by public sidewalks. I hopped over them and went inside.

“Home Depot™ Presents the Police!®” I said, flashing my badge and my gun and a small picture of Ron Paul. “Nobody move unless you want to!” They didn’t.

“Now, which one of you punks is going to pay me to investigate this crime?” No one spoke up.

“Come on,” I said. “Don’t you all understand that the protection of private property is the foundation of all personal liberty?”

It didn’t seem like they did.

“Seriously, guys. Without a strong economic motivator, I’m just going to stand here and not solve this case. Cash is fine, but I prefer being paid in gold bullion or autographed Penn Jillette posters.”

Nothing. These people were stonewalling me. It almost seemed like they didn’t care that a fortune in computer money invented to buy drugs was missing.

I figured I could wait them out. I lit several cigarettes indoors. A pregnant lady coughed, and I told her that secondhand smoke is a myth. Just then, a man in glasses made a break for it.

“Subway™ Eat Fresh and Freeze, Scumbag!®” I yelled.

Too late. He was already out the front door. I went after him.

“Stop right there!” I yelled as I ran. He was faster than me because I always try to avoid stepping on public sidewalks. Our country needs a private-sidewalk voucher system, but, thanks to the incestuous interplay between our corrupt federal government and the public-sidewalk lobby, it will never happen.

I was losing him. “Listen, I’ll pay you to stop!” I yelled. “What would you consider an appropriate price point for stopping? I’ll offer you a thirteenth of an ounce of gold and a gently worn ‘Bob Barr ‘08’ extra-large long-sleeved men’s T-shirt!”

He turned. In his hand was a revolver that the Constitution said he had every right to own. He fired at me and missed. I pulled my own gun, put a quarter in it, and fired back. The bullet lodged in a U.S.P.S. mailbox less than a foot from his head. I shot the mailbox again, on purpose.

“All right, all right!” the man yelled, throwing down his weapon. “I give up, cop! I confess: I took the bitcoins.”

“Why’d you do it?” I asked, as I slapped a pair of Oikos™ Greek Yogurt Presents Handcuffs® on the guy.

“Because I was afraid.”

“Afraid?”

“Afraid of an economic future free from the pernicious meddling of central bankers,” he said. “I’m a central banker.”

I wanted to coldcock the guy. Years ago, a central banker killed my partner. Instead, I shook my head.

“Let this be a message to all your central-banker friends out on the street,” I said. “No matter how many bitcoins you steal, you’ll never take away the dream of an open society based on the principles of personal and economic freedom.”

He nodded, because he knew I was right. Then he swiped his credit card to pay me for arresting him.

91 Likes

Capital “L” Libertarian. Randroids.

I am not going to go into a “Judean People’s Front” style discussion about the various shades of libertarian. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Fair enough. It does bother me, though, in that I honestly respect Noam Chomsky’s opinions, whether I agree or (often) not. I really wish there was a better way to distinguish those two schools of thought; they only have passing similarity.

2 Likes

Yep, that’s what I was referring to. I actually thought it had been highlighted more around here, but I was thinking of another site apparently.

4 Likes