Florida school asst. principal and daughter charged with computer crimes to get the girl elected homecoming queen

Originally published at: Florida school asst. principal and daughter charged with computer crimes to get the girl elected homecoming queen | Boing Boing

7 Likes

They should have had mail-in voting instead. Much more secure.

18 Likes

In Buffy they’re all possessed by a demonic tiara or some shit. In real life…

10 Likes

An embarassing reason for a conviction.

“What you in for?”
“Rigging the vote for high school Prom Queen.”
Cell block roars with laughter.

edit spelling

19 Likes

You think they won’t all be understanding?

5 Likes

May not have reached desensitization level yet, although at this rate it seems imminent.

5 Likes

At least this was a computer, not a gun. But as we roast the demented parental failure, let’s just momentarily give thought to how warped our values are when a fucking homecoming queen election is seen as sufficiently valuable to risk your future over. :man_facepalming:

21 Likes

Oh Damn!

6 Likes

They’ve imprisoned two people over rigging an online popularity contest?

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised any more at the American habit of massive punitive overreaction but what the fuck? I can see that you would want to address the misuse of the school network but this is way over the top- this could have been dealt with internally.

13 Likes
2 Likes

Welp, it is Florida

11 Likes

No, they imprisoned 2 people for hacking into the school’s computer system. I suspect the motivation behind the hack is immaterial, legally.

19 Likes

They know or have evidence that these two manipulated the votes for homecoming queen. What else might they have done that they don’t (yet) have evidence of? Who’s to say the pair didn’t try changing grades to make the daughter valedictorian or make her transcript more attractive to colleges? Who’s to say they didn’t try changing others’ grades (due to those other students being the daughter’s enemies or due to them competing for spots in a class with limited seats for which they have to qualify?)

5 Likes

Oh no, it’ll be much harder for her to be elected homecoming queen of the reform school without Mom there to help her.

1 Like

giphy

2 Likes

I feel like recent events are suggesting that people should not use computers to commit crimes, because the possibility that the consequences will be magnified seem to be a given.

1 Like

Well, for hacking into the school computer. This HS election stuff is no game for amateurs.

flickgif

7 Likes

THIS?

What kind of distopia do you want to live in?

I’d prefer a society in which the governing authorities can only act on provable knowledge.

Evidence, or GTFO.

6 Likes

This further supports my assertion (elsewhere) that (through the lens of entertainment/news) American Schooling is only peripherally about education.

Also, where have they all been to make “coming home” such a big deal? Were they drafted?

7 Likes

I’m not a governing authority and BoingBoing discussion threads are not a court of law

2 Likes