Florida schools open their doors to Satan

It’s worse. The Hobby Lobby decision is basically “No one who claims a religious reason has to obey laws anymore, but without religion, you still have to follow the law.” So if you claim that talking about or taking an action is a problem for your religion, it’s covered by Hobby Lobby, but if you’re an atheist you have no protections.

The only criminals being protected are the ones under the auspices of a church.

5 Likes

And the Irish!

1 Like

But claiming to be religious isn’t much of a test, so I’m going to go with “no one” anyway. Of course the reality is that it means that no one with enough money has to follow the laws. But I think America might have gone that way a while back anyway.

3 Likes

Hail Satan!

1 Like

That goes without saying.

Oh what fun! The Raelians have now expressed an interest in distributing literature. All the better–an honest-to-goodness UFO cult with apparently serious adherents.

2 Likes

Yeah, because Buddhism is just, you know, so much more chill than Christianity, you know? It’s not, like, (Mahayana) Buddhism was inventing its own concepts of fiery hell dimensions to cow practitioners centuries before Christianity picked up that practice, or, like the concept of Karma amounts to a victim-blaming “that fucker had it coming to him” philosophy.

I’d probably end up reading a little Job or Ecclesiastes from the book on the right.Those texts seem pretty expressly designed to indict the bullshit that has accrued around both of those books over the centuries…

Unfortunately, few of the faithful seem to take it that way.

I’ll give you that. Once both religions strayed away from the teachings of their head honchos, things went to shit pretty quickly. Heck, by the time you get to weird offshoots like Tibetan Buddhism, it gets pretty hard to recognize.

That being said, living in the US, I get exposed to and beaten about the head regularly enough with fanatic/evangelical christianity to have a poor enough opinion of christianity in general to want to limit my exposure as much as humanly possible. This certainly extends to my choices of free time reading.

1 Like

The problem with every “-ism” is the same: human nature.

3 Likes

Old El Ron Hubbard, a pulp science fiction writer, created a pulp science fiction world and jumped into it. According to his son in later years, he told his drinking buds such as I.E. van Vogt and Errol Flynn that the way to get over was to create a religion which obviously he did.

Well it doesn’t count as being able to tell the difference if you were explicitly told the answer by the founder.

“Don’t worry about your dead kids, here’s some new ones” Job? I’m not sure how that story indicts any bullshit unless it is intended as a parody.

This should make the Christians at somewhat happy, since they and the Satanists believe in the same things (eg. Satan). We atheists, of course, thing it is all a crock.

Yes, bringing light like Lucifer.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.