Florida teachers could face years in prison for displaying "disallowed books" in classroom

no. no we do not!
@iquitos46 did the entire FL electorate unanimously re-elect desantis? no again, we did not.
did desantis personally redraw the state’s district map to gerrymander the everloving fuck to his and his party’s favor? yes he certainly did.

this cannot and will not continue. he will continue to fuck with the state until he either leaves office to persue the presidency or term limits out in '26 (yes, he could do a great deal of damage in that time).
i refuse to allow this to force me to uproot my life in a beautiful, yet mismanaged state to, what? move to the goddamn mainland? no. i’ll stay and fight.
[insert docosc with “die with your boots on” iron maiden here]

15 Likes

Oh I know! Much like here, I know there is a strong opposition to DeSantis, even if people like to ignore that… I meant his supporters and backers who claim to care about equal rights, and such like.

13 Likes

And no offense, @FloridaManJefe , like feral hogs and boa constrictors, there’s way too many of them for comfort.

11 Likes

This is how liberty dies — to thunderous applause.

5 Likes

@FloridaManJefe is right about gerrymandering being a key to this issue, too. Same problem here in GA, especially outside of the metro area. The GOP here has done a better job projecting a moderate image since the insurrection. It’s helped that neither of the top elected GOP officials agreed to help Trump rig the vote, and that Trump turned on them both. It also helps that we do have an actual moderate wing to the GOP here (though that’s largely confined to the metro, I’d say). DeSantis has decided to lean fully into Trumpian politics and is now trying to outdo Trump, which means he’s gonna keep doing shit like he’s doing, which includes ensuring his own electoral security in the state. I still don’t believe he can necessarily win nationally, as so much of Trump’s appeal was “cult of personality” stuff?

14 Likes

9 Likes

C’mon FLA teachers, Sue the governor for the amount of his office’s budget.

4 Likes

Does Florida have an actual law that carries these punishments or are DeSantis and company just making crazy threats? Was this all buried somewhere in the “Curriculum Transparency” law?

1 Like

Have you not been paying attention to FL lately?

13 Likes

I’ve been paying attention. Apparently not to enough details though.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s pretty bad. They are trying to make FL into a mini-Hungary by forcing a white-washed history on FL and trying to eliminate the rights for all trans people there. And he wants to run for President.

13 Likes

So he can extend the “Florida miracle” to the rest of the country.

war talus GIF by HISTORY UK

9 Likes

Kristen Wiig Yep GIF by Where’d You Go Bernadette

And people STILL aren’t paying attention, because “it can’t be THAT bad…” Well, they are targeting a marginalized group, and trying to push a bunch of lies as history…

10 Likes

History-splaining to a historian, but yeah, sounds frighteningly like 1937-38?

9 Likes

Oh by then in Germany, all those inconvenient historians were out of the way…

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.