DeSantis's laws and policies have Florida educators fleeing the state and the profession

Originally published at: DeSantis's laws and policies have Florida educators fleeing the state and the profession | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Why do I feel like the DeSantis crowd sees this as a feature, not a bug…

26 Likes

This isn’t a bug, it’s the core feature.

21 Likes

But at least our school leadership is out there inspiring the new teachers they have found.

4 Likes

Trust your feelings! They’re installing PragerU in the classrooms.

9 Likes

FAFOF
(F* Around, Find Out, Florida!)

4 Likes

We should just call it what it is- Florida is trying to outlaw education. There’s nothing incidental about any of these effects, this is exactly the goal. Dismantle higher education in an attempt to deny reality through censorship, with the end goal of nurturing an ignorant, white supremacist, Bible-thumping fascist population.

20 Likes

Due to the crisis in teacher shortages, they’ll shortly be reducing the educational qualifications of the people they do hire.

“You had 2 semesters at Liberty U? God bless you! You can head the science department!”

11 Likes

Who would have believed that a US Governor would look at North Korea and take it as an inspirational model for their state? What a fucking mess…

12 Likes

In addition to all the other terrible things he said (basically every word).

Seriously what is wrong with that school leadership…

What is with this contant obsesssion in some regions/neighbourhoods with property values? As someone who lives in a city with crazy high property prices, that are continuing to climb, I dont see real benefits to society. Sure I’m richer on paper, but I couldn’t afford a house if I shopped today, and selling my house wouldn’t get me anything better as everything went up in cost. So yeah, I could get a massive return on my investment from the last 3 years, but then I wouldn’t have anywhere to live :man_shrugging:.

Its a shame no one seems to care about the next generation despite pretending this is for the kids…

10 Likes

The issues that matter to his donor base – taxes and property values.

I may reiterate that at tonight’s board meeting – they’re the School Board, not the Chamber of Commerce.

11 Likes

Not one school district with the balls to fight back, buck the system, and let the court cases play out in front of a rapt nation. I get it. I understand. But it hurts that no one dares push back against these censorial fascists.

8 Likes

This is the America Republicans want.

3 Likes

Next wave, not yet visible but inevitable, will be the students in Florida and elsewhere who write off Florida universities and colleges as options for their higher education. The brightest and the high achievers, of course, have many other choices.

Let’s see what that does to Florida property values.

12 Likes

FAFOFF.
(F* Around, Find Out, Florida Fascists!)

4 Likes

Watch out for DeSantis’s ftormftrooperf, the FF.

2 Likes

They tell themselves that it’s a feature, because that way they can stuff all the schools at every level with anti-woke teachers. But everyone else with more than two brain-cells to rub together will recognize the dangerous trap for Florida, and the boon to the rest of the country, that this utter lunacy represents. The trap for Florida involves drawing all of those unenlightened teachers from everywhere else to clog up Florida’s schools with politically-correct pandering to the MAGAcap-crowd. The rest of the country therefore benefits by ‘swapping’ those folks with the ones fleeing the Fascist-Flooding state.
And, of course, the longer this goes on, the worse it will become for Florida and the GOP in general. I don’t relish the long-term effects of those poor kids born and raised there and being unable to get homeschooling or private schooling…

8 Likes

So… is Ron DeSantis trying to run Florida into the ground so he can sell it to Cuba? Just asking questions, here

3 Likes

The direct line between good schools and higher property values is completely lost on these (and most, sadly) people. The argument I’ve heard locally is “I don’t have kids, why should I pay for schools?” or even worse “My kids already finished school, so why should I pay?” which is so wildly short sighted and ignorant that I can’t stand it.

11 Likes

Thing is, we all suffer if the state of FL, a huge state population wise, has a “lost generation.” My generation as made a hell of a mess of this planet. The upcoming cannot spare a single set of hands or IQ points as they try to figure out how to survive in the hellscape we are leaving them. I’m not willing to write off the kids down there, but maybe that’s just me.

7 Likes