Follow-up

Records suggest that Anna Strack never remarried. When she died in 1983, she was buried under her ex-husband’s name

Well isn’t that just dandy

8 Likes

… worst Hanna-Barbera reboot ever

6 Likes

Considering the time, and the fact that she was raising a child as a single mother, keeping the same surname as the child makes sense. And if she’s anything like my aunt, she still loved my uncle, she just couldn’t cope, financially or emotionally, with the alcoholism anymore. So I can see keeping the name because you don’t actually hate the guy, you just can’t have a life with him anymore.

12 Likes

and it’s usually going to be some dude’s name after all. there’s probably some people happy to not have their father’s last name. ( grumble. grumble. patriarchal lineage )

7 Likes

You can make that your deadname.

7 Likes

yeah :heart: lots easier to do that these days than it probably once was.

though at first i read that as advice to take “patriarchal lineage” as a last name. which would be pretty ridiculously funny. “yes, that’s right. mr. patriarchal lineage. just like my father, and his father before him.”

10 Likes

Oh - I love that!

7 Likes

My spouse and I decided we didn’t want my last name and his was so common that combined with my super common first and middle, there was another woman with that exact name and a second with the same first and last at my work (4000 people employed). He had also previously had problems because he shared a first and last and month/year of birth with a felon.
We culled thru the maiden names in our lineages and picked one. It was passed from a father to a daughter but eh. We liked it. Probably would have gone with something random if we’d had anything we felt was worth the family push back

11 Likes

That is so cool, and excellent proof that he’s a keeper!

6 Likes
2 Likes

[eta]

Follow up from conflict in the 90s in the Balkans…

6 Likes
7 Likes

Confused Thinking GIF

5 Likes

Top-line results of the recent Emory University poll included: more white residents are for the project than against it, and more Black residents are against it than for it.

Old Man No GIF by RJ Tolson

5 Likes

An update on police reform progress in Minneapolis after the murder of George Floyd:

7 Likes

Almost three months after Virginia teacher Abigail Zwerner was shot by a 6-year-old student, she filed a $40 million lawsuit Monday alleging school administrators shrugged off multiple warnings from staff and students who believed the boy had a gun and posed an imminent threat on the day of the shooting, and did so knowing the child “had a history of random violence.”

5 Likes
7 Likes

since theoretically, workers can’t sue their own employers

the fuck?

6 Likes

Apparently workplace compensation insurance means you can’t sue your employer.

Also for those interested the claim is here:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/23739313-zwerner-complaint-file-stamped?responsive=1&title=1

Found via:

2 Likes
4 Likes