Follow-up

7 Likes
8 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

The deadly incident has sparked questions and criticism over a lack of regulation with private undersea explorations.

I don’t think I have seen anyone complaining about a lack of regulation. The frustration was with techbros thinking they don’t need the existing certification structures.

5 Likes

9 Likes

Definitely gonna have to give that a listen later… he’s been a real disappointment.

2 Likes

So, just in case…

4 Likes
5 Likes

Weird push-back articles on this:

Slate brings in the respected Michael Geist to explain how this situation is completely different from the same situation in Australia in 2021. Now Meta and Google are strapped for cash, laying off employees, hard times, AI, etc.

Except that that opinion is complete bullshit as even a cursory look would show. Meta has even more cash to throw at stock buyback games than last year. $28 billion in 2022, $40 billion in 2023. Google likewise.

I sure that a lot of good arguments can be made against this law, but Meta and Google now being poors who can’t afford it certainly isn’t one of them.

6 Likes

While I’m in favor of making stock buyback illegal in general, it should be a no brainer to prohibit them within proximity (18 months?) of a layoff.

7 Likes

It was Google/Alphabet that apparently hired a whole lotta people, then warehoused them, working on nothing.

The idea that they were hired precisely so that they could be fired at the right time to drive up the stock price sounds crazy at first: all those wages and severance that it would cost the company! However, Alphabet is pulling $70 billion out of the business this year to do exactly that with stock buybacks.

7 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes

Thanks. I hate it.

7 Likes

goddamn you youngkin

6 Likes

Rural Virginia is in for a surprise.

He is such an ass.

Accck! He made Virginia into Utah!

7 Likes