Follow-up

I ate a banana estimated to be worth $120,000 as long as they can find someone stupid enough to buy it.

Fixed that for them.

1 Like

I once traded a €100,000 banana for two €50,000 apples.

3 Likes
5 Likes

That article makes some good points, especially about how Midwestern cities forgot about people and catered to businesses instead (often, only one particular business, which is even worse), but there seems to be a huge blind spot regarding the largest Midwestern city, which is never mentioned once in the article, not even to show how it could be done.

For example, when the article talks about new ideas to revitalize the downtown area, here’s the example given:

“If office workers are coming downtown less, but college students are willing to come downtown more, what about literally putting a college in your downtown?” Hadden Loh said. “This is something that cities are increasingly looking at.” She pointed to Phoenix as an example. Over the past couple of decades, the city has made major investments in revitalizing its core, including a new downtown campus for Arizona State University.

Phoenix isn’t in the Midwest. Chicago is, and worked to attract approximately a dozen colleges into the downtown Loop area, which doesn’t include many others within a mile or two of that central core.

Even in situations where Midwestern cities have preexisting natural amenities — like mountains or lakes — that lend themselves to redevelopment, they’ve failed to capitalize on those advantages. Take downtown Cleveland, where Weinstein said the city has allowed its natural waterfront along Lake Erie to be “forgotten.” Despite its potential, the waterfront isn’t walkable and offers little by way of restaurants or attractions. And given the city’s long history of prioritizing industry, residents are concerned about the lake’s water quality.

“The number of restaurants we have that overlook the lake I can count on one hand,” she said.

We have at least 100 restaurants looking directly out on Lake Michigan or the Chicago River. Our biggest tourist attraction juts out into Lake Michigan and has dozens of restaurants, as well as many other activities and such.

It occurred to me this week, seeing how extreme the crowds have gotten in Chicago, that it’s quite possible we’re getting the brunt of people not being able to travel for so long, and having concern about air travel issues, so driving or taking a bus or train to the big city in the middle of the Midwest might be the compromise more people are making. So we have the problem that there are TOO MANY people downtown, rather than not enough. Probably because so much was done to make it a good place to visit. But you’d never know that, from the article!

13 Likes

Yup, nothing to do here in Chicago.

View from the Restaurant (Gibsons). Note the kayakers in the river!

12 Likes

@NukeML

Stop it, you guys! I wanna go see my dad and I can’t afford it yet! :frowning_face:

Plus, I want to take him out to Club Lucky.

7 Likes

ATL and GSU have entered the chat… though, obvs, not MW… But GSU has literally taken over a large portion of downtown in the past 15 years… :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes
5 Likes

761adecc-6126-47ab-a1b4-1d6b36fab918_screenshot_phixr_phixr

6 Likes

More news about “Cop City” cases:

7 Likes

Rose Scott interviewed Boston yesterday…

8 Likes

Attorneys who filed court documents citing cases completely invented by OpenAI’s ChatGPT have been formally slapped down by a New York judge.

Judge Kevin Castel on Thursday issued an opinion and order on sanctions [PDF] that found Peter LoDuca, Steven A. Schwartz, and the law firm of Levidow, Levidow & Oberman P.C. had “abandoned their responsibilities when they submitted non-existent judicial opinions with fake quotes and citations created by the artificial intelligence tool ChatGPT, then continued to stand by the fake opinions after judicial orders called their existence into question.”

[…]

“The lesson here is that you can’t delegate to a machine the things for which a lawyer is responsible,” said Stephen Wu, shareholder in Silicon Valley Law Group and chair of the American Bar Association’s Artificial Intelligence and Robotics National Institute, in a phone interview with The Register .

[…]

The judge’s order includes, as an exhibit, the text of the invented Varghese case atop a watermark that says, “DO NOT CITE OR QUOTE AS LEGAL AUTHORITY.”

[…]

8 Likes

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-02120-8

Decades-long bet on consciousness ends — and it’s philosopher 1, neuroscientist 0

Christof Koch wagered David Chalmers 25 years ago that researchers would learn how the brain achieves consciousness by now. But the quest continues.

6 Likes
5 Likes

BBC News - Teenager on sub took Rubik’s Cube to break record, mother tells BBC

2 Likes
6 Likes

TrueAnon Episode 302: Beautiful Human Submarines

We are forced by Fate and obsession to follow the tale of the Titan in its journey into the deep — and into the very gates of what scientists are calling “Wet Hell.”

1 Like

Ghouls…damned ghouls.

3 Likes

That and the wetworks team they gave access to his cell. No cellmate, no witness. :wink:

Hey - I get to use this twice in a 24 hour period!

7 Likes
8 Likes