Follow-up

Welp, glad to know that I’m not going insane, but that’s really the case… I can rarely find anything anymore on the web via the various search interfaces…

Also, this is could also go in the enshittification thread.

9 Likes

As someone who once described their job as ‘professional google searcher’ this tracks with my experience. As they added ML and AI and such, my precise searches (for stuff like error messages or configuration items mostly) have had results replaced with what the search engine thinks I’m looking for rather than what I actually entered. If the thing I searched for even exists in the returned data, it’s buried under a flood of garbage with similar words but otherwise no relation to my query. It’s infuriating, I miss the Google of the early 2010s.

10 Likes

Google’s version of semantic matching as revealed in court documents: they add search terms they think are semantically related to trigger ad spends.

I tell people to avoid using search engines (short version - longer version involves thinking about where things are and not outsourcing to search engines to get us there quickly. Because they won’t.).

5 Likes

Another update of sorts for the “California Forever” project. Sounds as shady as ever.

Probaby the grossest line:

At a press conference announcing the initiative, Srameck told reporters he was confident the measure would pass and committed to spending “as much [money] as we need to win.”

They aren’t exactly trying to be subtle about the “fuck you, we’re rich” part.

3 Likes

He also said “I’m going to make this happen no matter what.”

I was disappointed to see in another news story that at least one person who attended the presentation was actually impressed by their terrible AI-generated concept art:

2 Likes
4 Likes
6 Likes

Texas school district superintendent defended the continued suspension of a Black student over his locs hairstyle in a full-page newspaper ad, paid for by an education foundation.

Darryl George has been suspended repeatedly by the Barbers Hill Independent School District for his hair. The teen’s family filed a federal civil rights lawsuit saying the punishment violates the CROWN Act, an acronym for “Create a Respectful and Open World for Natural Hair,” which became law in Texas in September.

The law is intended to prohibit race-based hair discrimination. But the school said the law does not address hair length and that is the reason for George’s suspension.

However, photos of George show him wearing his hair up in a way that does not reach below his ears.

The ad that appeared Sunday in the Houston Chronicle was written by district superintendent Greg Poole.

“Being an American requires conformity with the positive benefit of unity,” he stated, referencing strict codes at the military academies.

1 Like

Freedom requires conformity. What an asshole.

I’m surprised they didn’t get into the sex discrimination as well with the no hair below the ears.

7 Likes

no man GIF

11 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

Internet connectivity issues that occurred when the company tried to share video of the incident “likely precluded or hampered” regulators from seeing the full video

<insert sure jan gif here >

4 Likes
3 Likes

https://nitter.net/micahinATL/status/1750924206227988760

5 Likes
3 Likes

That’s what happens when you try to sell the technology that might exist tomorrow, today - and are heavily, heavily invested in it.

5 Likes
3 Likes

‘White Lives Matter’ member gets 18 years for firebombing church that planned drag events

5 Likes

Not sure where else to put this, but…

2 Likes