Follow-up

Back from the dead: LockBit taunts cops, threatens to leak Trump docs

[…]

LockBit claimed to be responsible for the Fulton County break-in before the UK’s National Crime Agency (NCA) and US FBI took down its infrastructure last week. The Georgia county, however, has reappeared on the crew’s Tor site, with a countdown clock set to expire on March 2 unless government officials pay the ransom demand.

The criminal gang claims to have a trove of Fulton confidential data such as the identities of jurors serving on a murder trial that “could put lives at risk and jeopardize a number of other criminal trials,” according to Krebs on Security.

The crew also claimed the stolen Fulton collection includes documents related to Donald Trump’s court cases, which will be released unless the ransom is paid. Fulton County did not immediately respond to The Register’s request for comment.

[…]

5 Likes

ETA: my comment on the matter seems to have caused someone to take offense.

I did not intend that, so please accept my apologies.

To clarify: I hope the families get closure from this, and I am surprised that after such a long time, this case came to a verdict.

2 Likes

Will cross post to the systems of education thread…

5 Likes

Adrian Dittmann called in to Infowars (Alex Jones) again.

2 Likes

Garbage in garbage out.

3 Likes

That it took so long in a case that made headlines because the victim was a celebrity is sadly unsurprising to many of us:

Too often whether or not the family gets closure depends on the competence and level of concern among the cops and prosecutors where the murders occurred.

9 Likes
3 Likes

FAA gives Boeing 90 days to fix serious safety shortcomings found in report

7 Likes

Real estate listings with the word “motivated” by state

New York: 424
California: 1066
Texas: 1770
Florida: 4925

8 Likes

…And it’s done. Oregon GOP lawmakers who walked out to prevent a quorum cannot run for re-election.

14 Likes

Re: FAA Boeing

How anyone could fly let alone pilot one of those now is beyond me. Death trap waiting to happen,

1 Like

to paraphrase my stepfather - a Boeing electrical engineer -
“if it’s Boeing…
i’m not going.”
he would have said “of it’s not Boeing, i’m not going”

6 Likes

My father a F4 Phantom fighter pilot in the Vietnam war always said “Don’t strap a nuke to my wing and tell me its napalm.”

But I digress.

5 Likes

Conditio humana: doing stupid things for no good reason. All the time.

4 Likes

One common complicating factor is that people who use cannabis also often use tobacco products, which carry their own increased risk for cardiovascular disease. In the new study, led by Abra Jeffers of Massachusetts General Hospital, researchers were able to do two additional analyses: one that looked at cardiovascular disease risk in people who use cannabis but had never used tobacco products and a second one that looked at people who used cannabis but had never used tobacco products or e-cigarettes. Without tobacco use, the higher odds of heart attack and stroke persisted for people who used cannabis. For those without tobacco or e-cigarette use, only the higher odds of stroke remained.

The researchers also looked at age, another complicating factor. Heart disease can take years or decades to develop, but people who use cannabis tend to skew younger. The 434,104 people who took the survey ranged from age 18 to 74, and the analyses adjusted for other health factors, including alcohol use, diabetes, body mass index, and physical activity. When the researchers looked at just the adults who would be considered on the young side for developing cardiovascular disease (less than 55 for men and less than 65 for women), they found that cannabis use also increased the odds of premature cardiovascular disease—and again the link was independent of tobacco and e-cigarette use.
—-

Another wrinkle to the study is the route of cannabis use and how it may play a role in the link to cardiovascular disease. About 74 percent of cannabis users in the study reported smoking cannabis, which could potentially increase the risk of cardiovascular disease much the same way tobacco cigarettes do—a result of inhaling particulate matter into the lungs. It’s unclear if edible cannabis products would weaken the association seen in the study.

8 Likes

sure would be interested to know where the funding for these studies is coming from.
:thinking:
big pharma? is this you?

7 Likes

Without isolating smoking cannabis and ingesting it, this shouldn’t be a surprise.
Smoking is bad for you - what you’re smoking doesn’t matter that much in how bad it is.

10 Likes

not going to argue that smoking is overall not good for anyone’s health. not putting away my joints, either.
my point is (RE: pharma-funded studies) is that it seems as if as more states legalize medical and recreational cannabis use, the big players in keeping it criminalized - i.e. pharma and alcohol manufacturers and distributors - have vested interest in financing studies that downplay any benefit and oversell the the downside to using cannabis where those entities would rather sell you their own product - whatever the downside to using them may carry. :person_shrugging:t2:

7 Likes

Air National Guardsman Teixeira to admit he was Pentagon files leaker

Jack Teixeira, the Air National Guardsman accused of leaking dozens of classified Pentagon documents, is expected to plead guilty in a US court on Monday.

Teixeira allegedly shared the top-secret files and photographs via his private Discord server in February 2022, and these classified documents later surfaced on social media. It’s believed the then-21-year-old, who reportedly liked gaming and guns, was obsessed with mass shootings and conspiracy theories, and leaked the classified military information in an attempt to impress his fellow gamers online.

[…]

2 Likes

The highway was a mess. Overnight, “we had a mass amount of vehicles over Donner Summit and it took several hours for emergency vehicles and tow trucks to reach motorists,”

at least it’s going better than the last time:grimacing:

9 Likes