Follow-up

A couple of weeks ago when it came out I mentioned that none of the gaming podcasts I listen to had really even mentioned the broom game. Now a couple of weeks later that has slightly changed,

Waypoint Radio Ep. 541 devotes about 1/2 an hour to a discussion of the game, the issues, and holding people accountable for their shit. It’s led by regular host Renata Price, who is a transwoman, and while regular boing boingers might not get much new, it’s a good summary that might be useful to pass on to friends that might

Triple Click Episode 143 goes farther. All three of the hosts (Maddy Myers, Jason Schreier, and Kirk Hamilton) are games journalists, so they had to play it as part of their jobs, but they took the opportunity to take that experience and turn it into a long discussion of their history with the franchise (Maddy, for example, started reading them when she was 10 as they came out and was very active in the fan fiction community, Kirk in his early teens and liked them, and Jason as he started college and thought they were ok - so there is a good range of fandom represented), how they have felt about it as they get older and, of course, how they feel about it today in light of J.K. Rowling revealing herself to be a bigot. They also talk about their experience with the game itself.

tldl: They have soured on Rowling and Harry Potter. Aside from the the actual Hogwarts Castle (which is apparently a very detailed location) the game was flat, and despite some interesting bits in the castle, really just like an Ubisoft open world game with Harry Potter paint on it. None of them intend to play further past the point that they had to, for both reasons, but think that even if Rowling weren’t an asshole that would have just meant they could have fully enjoyed the few interesting bits at the beginning before still falling off.

They also talk a lot about the issues in the books that they did not see when they were younger - the lily white wizarding world with token diversity (which makes the games increase in inclusion feel weird - what happened to all the diversity (POC, queer people, and a token trans character) portrayed in the game (set in 1890) during the hundred years between the game and the books? This leads into a discussion of how the problems with Rowling and the original books, and Rowling’s continued control of and involvement with the franchise make it impossible to separate her and the flaws of the books from any new works.

It’s a good, thoughtful discussion by people who at least liked (and in one case loved) the universe and who love games about the problems around all of this.

4 Likes

Who did I hear about this from? Was it @NukeML? Seems like it was…

12 Likes

Hereabouts:

10 Likes

Thanks for feeding my laziness by looking it up for me!

Way To Go Reaction GIF by Hyper RPG

9 Likes

@anon33932455 has been a good Bing. And you have been a good User!

11 Likes

You made me want to read the original, which I had missed.

6 Likes

Big Brother Rope GIF by Big Brother Australia

Im Out Amy Poehler GIF by FOX TV

7 Likes

Crocodile of Wall Street?

She and her husband laundered US$4.5 billion in stolen cryptocurrency.

1 Like

(gift link)

Chris Rufo, the man who orchestrated the attack on critical race theory, underscored a new focus this month.

“Conservatives must move the fight from ideology to bureaucracy,” he tweeted. “We’ve won the debate against CRT; now it’s time to dismantle DEI.”…

4 Likes
11 Likes
12 Likes

I guess this is follow-up on both Mastodon and the dumb broom game for bigots

5 Likes

Do you mean the bottom gif? No, that’s Amy Poehler! :rofl: I think the top one is from one of those Big Brother shows?

5 Likes
16 Likes
17 Likes

TIL!

I always assumed it was a young Sara Gilbert!

Turns out the Unabomber was wrong about everything but disguises!

3 Likes

Hell yes. Though I don’t know if it can be helped. I guess it’s just so easy to forget. I’ve watched the Catholic church launder its image in the US and seize unprecedented power… After their legacy of colonial terror was broadly revealed to be a child sex cult.

12 Likes
11 Likes
13 Likes

Wait what? So according to The Vatican sexual misconduct towards women is worse then pedohilia?

4 Likes