Following terror group designation, Proud Boys Canada dissolves

I see this original bit from the early proud boys movement and think the straights were never ok. There’s something about this narrow bit of white cis straight young guy thing that is just really messed up. I want to laugh and cringe at this awkward bullshit but I think of all the awful real world impact bullshit like this actually lead to and just can’t believe this shit.

2 Likes

Curiously, the Atomwaffen Division also uses a black and yellow flag. This particular scheme may also be used in the Gadsden flag.

4 Likes

Wait, so we have to keep being eternally vigilant?
I had only planned to be eternally vigilant for a limited time.

5 Likes

I’m not sure if the colours have their origins in the Gadsden Flag, but anti-hate sites (e.g. the SPLC) trace their use by the Proud Boys, AtomWaffen, Identitarians, and other racist groups back to the fact that anarcho-capitalist (i.e. right-wing) Libertarians have chosen them as their official colours. Which came as no real shock to me given the racism regularly displayed by those rifle-stroking anti-statists who also identify as “free-market” fundies.

11 Likes

“We are electricians, carpenters, financial advisors, mechanics, etc. More than that, we are fathers, brothers, uncles and sons,” it added.

Yeah, we get it … you’re a painter, a husband, and yes, a reluctant politician, but only because you feel your country’s white race needs more Lebensraum in which to grow. Got it.
Pace Godwin …

7 Likes

Now that the cockroaches have been discovered in the kitchen, they’ll re-assemble behind the baseboards.

4 Likes

Oh admit it, you’ve been looking for an excuse to drop the name since the gays reclaimed it.

1 Like

3 Likes

https://www.ozy.com/news-and-politics/when-did-gavin-mcinnes-lose-his-mind/378005/

6 Likes

What’s sad is that isn’t parody but that early alt-right bullshit.

Man, that innocent 2016 where one didn’t have to take shit like this seriously.

2 Likes

The problem is that people who weren’t directly targeted by the “alt-right” prior to Trump being elected kept laughing those of us actually concerned with this shit out of the room over and over again. Some of us actually DID take this seriously, and everyone else thought it was a big joke. :woman_shrugging: So we DID have to take this seriously in 2016. Far too many people did not. And here we are.

9 Likes

What? The? Fuck?

2 Likes

When the Nordic Resistance Movement was banned in Finland, it immediately led to a decrease in far-right activity. Deplatforming works, and banning or forcing these groups disband is deplatforming at it’s most basic and effective.

10 Likes

No Way Wow GIF

But seriously… it’s not rocket surgery. Deplatforming indeed works.

10 Likes

The furry fandom had to deal with this shit early and found ways of dealing with it but not much can be done at a larger level.

4 Likes

The association law in Finland grants the police a good deal of power, Even the Canadian response would be legally problematic in the United States.

That’s not true… Many of these groups intersect with a pretty deep well of criminal activity for one and it always has been. There is no excuse NOT to go after criminal enterprises just because they’re white supremacists. And the connections between “lone wolf” terrorists have often been ignored when it’s white supremacists group, while the Feds bent the laws as much as possible to surveil Islamic communities, because some how that’s “different”. And then other kinds of pressure can be put on such groups… such as no jobs serving the public for people connected to white supremacist groups (no nazi cops, etc). Then education needs to be honest about the history of white supremacy and violence. We need to stop white washing our history.

And then there is other kinds of organizing to let these groups know that they are not welcome. Letting them just chill because FREEZE PEACH or something like that only allows them to spread to the point that they get another candidate in office who is competent and can do more damage than Trump. And people have dealt with these issues when the authorities let the problem go:

We’ve been doing nothing and we nearly lost the country. We do something about this problem, or we will not have a democratic, constitutional government much longer. Any of us who aren’t on board will suffer. All of us. We do the hard work to fix the problem or that’s it.

6 Likes

Sorry I mean that from the standpoint of the subculture response. At best we can kick them out and shame them but past that we couldn’t do much.

1 Like

I’d argue that subcultures like Furries, like punks, postpunks, etc, should be the leaders and the most proactive on having a hardline on this stuff within the larger culture, precisely because I think subcultures have functioned as a safe space for people. Check out that podcast I posted and how punks were key to getting white supremacists out of Portland. Subcultures can be locations for imagining better ways of being in the world for ourselves, but that can become a model for others, too.

7 Likes

They keep harping on about how normal their lives are-“we’re only racist things as a hobby!

1 Like