Following terror group designation, Proud Boys Canada dissolves

Originally published at: Following terror group designation, Proud Boys Canada dissolves | Boing Boing

14 Likes

27 Likes

Now that’s what I call cancel culture!

10 Likes

Jagmeet Singh, the One True King

1 Like

ProTip: Use a polyethylene tub.

30 Likes

1 Like

Neighbor Lady: “But they were such nice young men.”

6 Likes

“We are electricians, carpenters, financial advisors, mechanics, etc. More than that, we are fathers, brothers, uncles and sons,”

Because terrorists don’t have jobs or families. They’re always formed whole cloth from nothing, bursting forth like an uruk hai dug out of the earth. Plus they’re brown, obviously.

41 Likes

It grew into a group with distinctive colors of yellow and black

No significance to those gang colours, I’m sure. /s

I’m not sure why some sectors of the mainstream press still feel compelled to take the Proud Boys at their word that they’re not violent racist street thugs, but at least Canada has called them what they are. I just hope the government keeps an eye on the leaders, because these fascist scum are known for re-branding quickly.

33 Likes

Yo Reuters, July 7, 2017 wants a word.

8 Likes

So Proud Boys started out as Fight Club?

3 Likes

So, what does “dissolved” mean in this case really? They took down a web page? They no longer have Tuesday pancake breakfasts? :man_shrugging:

Bets are they still maintain the same core collection of assholes.

29 Likes

Great job, Canada! This is marginalization in action. We can not fix people like this (in the short to medium term) but we can keep them harmless by preventing them from organizing. This is how good people win. Sure, they’ll re-form as something else, but smaller and less effectively than before because they’ve lost momentum. Then we break them up again and keep doing it unto they crawl back into the fascist hole they crawled out of.

This is good people saying, “Sir, your ideas are shit so please keep them to yourself. Thank you”. No violence and no imprisonment required. It’s great when things work out this well.

25 Likes

We’re not terrorists, we just do terrorist stuff.

13 Likes

There’s a group in Canada that keeps changing their name due to drama.

Sons of Odin, Wolves of Odin, Trout in a white-whine sauce, Soldiers of Odin…

17 Likes

18 Likes

It could mean as little as they’ve stopped using the name and logo. That’s enough. Branding matters immensely in these groups, as with anything else. It’s how they attract membership and keep enthusiasm up for organizing. Branding is also how you form a reputation. You need a brand behind which to form it. Gangs are scary because people know who they are and what they look like.

You sound like you don’t feel this is any kind of win, but see my post above on marginalization for why this is a big deal. This is really one of the best results you can hope for with these groups.

19 Likes

Indeed. Yard sales this coming weekend to be full of Fred Perry gear and kilts surely.

Next up, My Little Pony.

6 Likes

i welcome this news, but i suspect they will just migrate to other groups and continue on.

5 Likes

The Judean People’s Front/People’s Front of Judea was more about British Trotskyists splitting over minor things, like what kind of biscuits to have with their coffee, even though they agreed on nearly everything else.

COFFEE?! We should be drinking tea. We shall form a new group over this unresolvable issue. And It’s all your fault, not ours.

14 Likes