Fondue-slippers: just dip your feet in this molten PVC

I like clever proof of concept designs like this. But yes, I agree with just about everyone else that thinks it is really not a great idea - both from a stinky/sweaty foot perspective (seriously, yuck) and also from the practical “putting your foot into molten PVC” perspective. As far as support/wear/etc goes, I think they would be fine for around the house as slippers, in terms of support and wear (just to keep your bare skin off the cold tiles, etc), but yeah, I imagine these are INTENSELY uncomfortable to wear for extended periods of time.

Don’t feet change shape too? Or is this stuff more flexible than I’m thinking?

I don’t think they’re using hard PVC (like you’re probably thinking–what you use for drainpipes), but rather a softer and more rubbery formulation (frequently used as the jacket on the outside of electrical cables).

1 Like

Just looks like that paraffin dip at the nail shop to me.

Speaking as someone with hairy toes: NOPE.

2 Likes

Room-temperature sprayable and/or dippable vinyl plastic similar to PVC, and available in a (small) variety of colors - but I wouldn’t personally use it on my feet:

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

http://www.plastidip.co.uk/

The stuff might even actually be polyvinyl chloride itself, I’m no chemist.

1 Like

Other than being unique, I don’t really see the point. Like others said, sweaty feet, and no cushioning. I would imagine that the plastic would also be cold in the winter when you want to warm up your feet and having the toes separated isn’t as warm as having toes together, like mittens versus gloves. So other than art, do they have any practical use?

What is the number one problem facing our community today?

Untied shoelaces.

Which is why I’ve invented a laceless alternative foot covering.

Spray-On Shoes!

1 Like

Fukcing Ugly

As a chemist, VCM and phthalate exposure was the first thing I thought of when reading this article as well. Some of these soft PVCs can be >50% phthalates by mass. As far I know, dioxins are a concern from burning PVC rather than manufacturing it though.

2 Likes

Congratulations, you’ve invented Crocs.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.