Fooooonts

When I first saw this a month ago, I thought it was a joke. But they have fully incorporated it into their branding. They sell merch and all.

I’m not a fan of the rebranding from Museum of London to London Museum in the first place. The Museum of London has played such a role in the development of deep stratigraphy urban archaeology that they have an incredible bonus of good will with me, even though their archaeology unit, MOLAS, has long since moved out. I liked the old museum, too. All points towards the new one being more focused on telling the story of the city as a whole, in the vein of other modern British city museums like the Museum of Liverpool or the M Shed in Bristol. Which are great, but archaeology is just a tiny part of their narrative and therefore their exhibition spaces. I would have preferred if they had built such a Museum in London in addition to the Museum of London.

ETA: I am glad to see that the archaeology unit have as of yet not been forced to adopt the pigeon splat, nor to change their name from Museum of London Archaeology

8 Likes

Not sure if this is quite the right place for this.

8 Likes

“Fuck the right bracket.”

3 Likes

7 Likes

6 Likes

Near Harrisonburg, VA, IIRC?

Yes.
And.

There’s a Thai-rish joke somewhere in that sign, probably.
I’m just too tired to make it work right now.

4 Likes

in ron desatis’ florida, that would be “thigh-rish”. :man_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes
5 Likes

As an emoji that looks awfully complex when used at a smallish scale.

4 Likes

… i think unicode getting into the “emoji” business in the first place was a mistake, but nobody asked me :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Unicode 16.0 introduces a substantial increase of 5,185 characters, expanding our total character set to a remarkable 154,998. Seven new scripts have been added to enhance language representation

• Garay: A modern script used in West Africa.
  • Gurung Khema, Kirat Rai, Ol Onal, Sunuwar: Scripts from Northeast India and Nepal, enhancing support for these linguistic traditions.
  • Todhri: A historical script used for writing Albanian.
  • Tulu-Tigalari: Another historical script from Southwest India, enriching our historical script repertoire.
2 Likes

High time for a Streisand emoji

2 Likes

Huh. I wasn’t aware that Shell and TotalEnergies were concerned about their reputation.

2 Likes

Takes a bit to scroll through, but totally worth it.

“Blaircore”… perfect.

5 Likes

179. Cumbria

The intention here is clear, although it manages to accidentally take on the look of those bilingual Welsh councils. The negative space needs to be at a different angle to make it more legible.

Cumbria and Cymru come from the same Brittonic word, so it works. Maybe.

I’m surprised it’s that high, to be honest. Cumbria County Council doesn’t exist anymore, so I guess it doesn’t matter.

3 Likes

The logo for the Enfield council being an enfield gets extra geek cred from this medievalist, although I see why he marked it down for general consumption.

6 Likes

Enfields play sportsball too!

4 Likes

Neato

https://landsat.gsfc.nasa.gov/apps/YourNameInLandsat-main/index.html

These “letters” are rather iffy, though.

5 Likes

MbunnyßHBY?

You are one of Elon Musk’s disowned kids, and I claim my £5!

3 Likes