FOOTAGE: From out of nowhere, a truck flies in

No, that’s not how you pronounce it.

https://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/Schadenfreude

(Won’t inbox. Scroll down a bit for the audio link.)

Steal this: “Spaßbremse”!!!

1 Like

Sonderbauprüfverordnung.

Nah, I don’t take this bait and open a “Nebenkriegsschauplatz”.

1 Like

Spielverderber.

2 Likes

I see we have stopped trying to make “epicaricacy” happen.

I wonder if the problem is that conjuncting short relevant words in English results in things that are too ambiguous. Schadenfreude in literal English would be something like hurtjoy, but the subject and object aren’t clear. It could refer to masochism.

Which brings us to “sadism”, but has it lost its sexual, pathological edge? Can one enjoy a spot of light sadism without it implying action on behalf of the sadist?

5 Likes

Personally, schadenfreude seems easier to pronounce and enunciate in a dramatic way than epicaricacy.

5 Likes

Scooten’ Fruity

Scooten’

Fruity

5 Likes

gA1cexj

6 Likes

English has a “rule” for that: the last bit is the “object” or “root” (or, in linguistics, “head”). Some compounds are called “exocentric,” meaning that their meaning lies outside the two words of the compound. A “hotdog” is neither. I’m not sure how words like “bittersweet” would work. My feeling is that it’s actually exocentric, since the intended meaning is outside either bitter or sweet. (Fun fact, that one goes all the way back to Sappho.) All this nerdery is headed toward saying that I think “hurtjoy” would be an exocentric compound, so you wouldn’t look to its head for meaning, cause it’s a new thing. Stepping outside the textbook, I tend to think of “exocentric” compounds as real compounds, and other compounds as mere concretions. Someone here probably knows more about this than me. I only got dragooned into teaching linguistics because we’re a small school. It is fun though.

4 Likes

Stop! You’re both ziemlich!

You are probably expecting “JAWOHL!” and the sound of clicking heels. But @FGD135 and me are not that “cliché”.

2 Likes

And I may wish to beg your pardon, sir or madam, you really have no way of knowing how I do or do not pronounce, well…
…anything.

Well, since it was a Ring cam, I guess the cops were on the case pronto, right?

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.