Footpath "through the sea" may be Britain's deadliest

Worth it to see the local sights, though.

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 1.54.02 PM

4 Likes

Beat me to it.

2 Likes

Gotta get up early to post mostly off-topic mudflat walks halfway around the world from the original topic on bbs these days.

4 Likes

Reminds me of a video I watched yesterday

7 Likes

Wow…I totally want to attend The Virgin Church of Foulness. Their messaging sounds delightfully confusing.

2 Likes

Could be. I knew people who worked on the Shoeburyness range. Nothing radioactive though, as far as I know.

1 Like

I like how the footpath, as shown on Google Maps, is completely underwater in the aerial imagery. Is it really a footpath if you have to swim?

I’m just really excited to learn more about my heritage of Foulness.

2 Likes

For those interested, OpenStreetMap URL:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/51.54867/0.83892

This is zoomed in on the start of the walk. If I zoomed out far enough to fit the whole walk on screen, I was losing sight of the walk in the background shading.

2 Likes

How about a place named:

Shoe-bury-ness for a place “surrounded by whirpools and quicksand”!!

I think the councils land naming department knocked off early that day!

3 Likes

“The hobo’s footwear had been stolen in the night and deposited under six inches of dirt. The local sheriff said that there had been several other incidents of shoeburyness in the area recently as well as a couple of hatburyness reports and even rumours of pantsburyness tendencies in the local gophers and other outsize rodents. ‘This place gets weirder every year’ he noted.”

1 Like

We have a low tide walk across the harbor to an island in Boston Harbor. No dramatic deaths or anything though.
HOW TO WALK ACROSS BOSTON HARBOR WITHOUT GETTING IN TROUBLE
via DIG BOS

The really sketchy bits begin at 1:15

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve seen this exact one before. I never knew they went back and built a new path while preserving the old one as best they could. It was a neat update.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.