Tour the British landscape with a road trip from Shitterton to Twatt

Originally published at: Tour the British landscape with a road trip from Shitterton to Twatt | Boing Boing

9 Likes

There’s a big gap in the North of England. Why aren’t we visiting Penistone? Cockermouth? Great Cockup?

22 Likes

We could stop in for a snack in Penistone…

16 Likes

from Shitterton to Twatt

Don’t be all cock-faced about it.

5 Likes

And many Bottoms have been missed.

And this:

10 Likes

'taint all that.

7 Likes

Many have misjudged the turn when heading for Twatt and end up in Shetland

11 Likes

This is why you wipe from front to back.

11 Likes

If farms were allowed then Wide Open Dykes near Carlisle would be in the rudest place names.

Here’s a BBC article proving that it does exist, because any search on that name will be NSFW

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1190408.stm

10 Likes

I’ve been listening to the podcast History of the English language (which is great if you’re into that sort of stuff, which I am), and learned about the history of naming streets in London back in the 13th century a couple episodes ago:

11 Likes

You never go Shitterton to Twatt, only Twatt to Shitterton!

C’mon people. It’s just basic knowledge.

12 Likes

Um, Scunthorpe?

6 Likes

Exactly! This tour really should go the other direction to avoid infection. :joy:

Doh, @Bobo got there first.

5 Likes

The closest Taint I can find is in France.

2 Likes

You don’t really want to go about it half cocked

4 Likes

What about Bell End?

I read an account of a 19th C English foxhunt during which Reynard led them twice thru a place named Lady Lewkins’ Buttocks.

A dear friend lives in Long Itchington, which, strangely, almost no one else finds as amusing as she and I.

3 Likes

I don’t think anyone would actually want to visit Scunthorpe.

5 Likes

It’s not pronounced in a lewd way, protestations of naive obscenity filters notwithstanding

2 Likes

Does Twatt have ponies too?

Foxy Lady!.. Da dungdung dang, da dungdung dang…

1 Like

I’ve been in Twatt. I was up in Orkney a few years ago. In Stromness there’s a street or alley caled “Khyber Pass” - which may not be rude to Americans, but is in the UK.

6 Likes