For sale: Darth Vader helmet house in Houston

Can’t show the backyard because there are boingboing posters lurking about.

2 Likes

Wooooohooooo!

Crack out the Crisco!

2 Likes
1 Like

… Dr, Kookier ? … really?

2 Likes

I lived down the street from this house, and visited a few times. It felt a bit uncomfortable, though that was probably more because of the owner being an insufferable jackass than anything else.

12 Likes

Were there any younglings in the family?

3 Likes

Well, there were

4 Likes

… Dr. Kookier … really ?

2 Likes

I wonder where that “superficially minimalist, but make it tacky AF and kind of like the interior of a cruise liner” aesthetic originated, and how it gained popularity among the wealthy. Pretty fascinating.

1 Like

Doubtless, the doorbell chime is the Imperial March.

2 Likes

Maybe they prefer hotel-style interiors b/c they spend so much time in hotels.
tophat-shrug
I certainly fail to see the appeal. It’s too cold, too temporary-looking. I prefer living rooms to lobbies - they’re more welcoming.

1 Like

Yeah, it all looks stylized to the point that the main purpose of the room seems to be photography. Nothing about it looks like a human being would be comfortable or even fit in properly, let alone multiple people and the possible interrelations between those. Rather fascinating.

I’m trying imagine someone seated at that sofa grouping in the back or in the dining area trying to say something to someone sitting in one of those weirdly shaped lumps in the middle, yet … one would be looking down on the other, there’d be all kinds of stuff in the way, and they’d kind of need to shout, yet no doubt the acoustics of a huge room with nothing but bare walls and sharp angles would make that reverberate uncomfortably. Is the only purpose of that central area mingling at parties? Then there’s the sheer discomfort of sitting beneath those floating staircases, the weirdly distanced facing couches (clearly too far to comfortably have a conversation across, yet what else is the point of facing couches?), the weird quasi-recliners next to a far too tall and small round table next to the kitchen, the blue LED strip recessed into the grass of the lawn, the sparse-verging-on-sci-fi-prison-cell office (which for some reason has a small 19" rack enclosure?), the “we didn’t know how to get our bar stools out of the way of the photos so let’s just stack them here in the corner”, the reverse panopticon bedroom (someone must be an exhibitionist!), and the incredibly badly integrated LED lighting around the banisters.

This house is just a perfect storm of bad design, bad taste, and poor choices.

2 Likes

your description was leading me to it from the start, but the reverse-panopticon bedroom really sealed it: it’s for hosting orgies.

2 Likes

Maybe that’s for the best…

1 Like

I love this post
Says it all, really.

There is absolutely nothing comfortable about that house. It’s a house, not a home.

I see this whenever I return home and open the front door.

It makes me feel most welcome indeed. It throws rainbows around the ground floor beginning at 5pm during late autumn. Our home was built at the turn of the last century.

Soul-destroyingly ugly architecture and fittings serve no purpose. There’s simply no good reason to make things ugly when beauty is possible. Costs obviously have nothing to do with it: so damn many expensive houses are at least as nasty, and as poorly built as cheap ones. I can’t fathom people’s spending $a million six and getting drywall!

2 Likes

Seems likely. I mean, why else have a staircase from the living room leading directly (and from the looks of it without a single intervening door, wall or other hindrance) to an elevated viewing gallery above the bed? Orgies, cult initiations, or both. Orgy cult initiations? Cult initiation orgies? Something like that.

1 Like

Thanks! I completely agree, I just can’t fathom how people get so obsessed with (I assume) status-denominating designs that they begin to completely ignore the embodied, physical, human aspects of being in a space. I mean, sure, there’s plenty of ugly and tacky stuff that’s very well suited to embodied human presence as well, obviously, but that’s no excuse. I tend to prefer minimalism (to a certain degree) (I suppose I’ve been socialized into it, being Scandinavian), but it still needs to feel welcoming, friendly, warm, and like I can actually fit into the room comfortably. And both the overall impession and the details matter (and frankly can’t be separated - your example of the prismatic window illustrates this excellently!). This quasi-cruise liner aesthetic manages to (impressively!) take the worst parts of minimalist aesthetics (dehumanization, coldness) and mix them with the worst parts of maximalist ones (form over function), with a tinge of weird quasi-brutalism and faux-opulence thrown in.

1 Like

I was thinking Cylon, too. Rig up some red LED lights to swing back & forth behind those front windows, maybe a doorknob that says, “by, your, command,” and NOW you’ve got a party!

2 Likes

The house would sell for more, except for that loud hiss that they haven’t been able to track down.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.