For Sale: The real-life Brady Bunch house

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/19/for-sale-the-real-life-brady.html

3 Likes

put on the market for $1.885 million.

A bargain at the price. Who could say no to an Astroturf back lawn, a groovy attic bedroom conversion, a performance-grade staircase, and a guest room if your kids lose their cuteness as they get older and you need an adorable bespectacled cousin to move in.

8 Likes

How many people have thrown a pizza on their roof?

2 Likes

Even as a kid, I wondered how they managed to squeeze in a second story with at least 3 bedrooms and a livable attic space (Greg’s future bedroom), with the peaked roof on the left accounting for the high ceilings in the living room and dining area.

6 Likes

Liked for the BrBa reference.

5 Likes

I see two types of buyers. Wingnuts who want to do publicity stunts or investors who will remodel or teardown. Per Zillow:

This iconic residence is reportedly the 2nd most photographed home in the United States after the White House.

Buyer may risk what’s currently happening to the Canadian buyers of the iconic LA Times property in DTLA: a push to declare status as an historic monument. If I were the buyer, I’d wreck it before anyone could say otherwise…unless you plan to keep it preserved as is forever and ever and ever. Marsha Marsha Marsha!

1 Like

Why isn’t this mellifluous intersection—Klump and Dilling?—better known?

1 Like

I live about a block from here, and I wonder if maybe this is why the owner is selling? The house gets attention from not just fans, but thieves: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/brady-bunch-house-ransacked-burglars-los-angeles-article-1.2758042

3 Likes

I don’t doubt it. Everyone knows there are valuable ancient artifacts in that house.

9 Likes

You know, would it have hurt them to post even just one photo of a toilet in the listing to prove that the house does, in fact, have them?

5 Likes

They’ve owned the house for 45 years. I’m sure they are just downsizing. Also, $61,000 investment to $1.885M is just an annualized return of 7.84%, only a little bit better than the average S&P 45 year return of 6.434%.

1 Like

Tradition of what? :thinking:

3 Likes

…?

4 Likes

I wish.

Plus other characters

1 Like

The best part of that is that it happened in a single take.

4 Likes

I’m not surprised; Bryan Cranston is amazing.

4 Likes

He is… one of the best actors working today for sure.

I have to say, that we recently rewatched BB, I’m appreciating the whole show even more now. There were no missteps in this show, that I can see. Just solid writing, acting, cinematography, etc, all the way down.

4 Likes

I’ve said it before, it’s a ‘unicorn’ of a tv show; great writing, casting, acting, direction, and cinematography. Additionally, the show’s producers didn’t try to keep it on the air long past its’ peak, just to squeeze out every drop of revenue they could. They went into it with the conscious intent of only doing 5 seasons.

I fluv Vince Gilligan and co for that; so many once-good shows get tainted because TPTB drag them out for way too long and the narrative gets ‘stale…’

4 Likes

Indeed! I think it’s really the difference between having a story to tell and looking to make as much money as possible out of something. So far, I’m liking Better Call Saul just as much. Of course, it helps that it’s all my favorite characters from BB (Gus, Mike, and Saul/Jimmy).

4 Likes

Same!

Michael McKean was just amazing last season as Chuck; and that toxic relationship with his brother was a huge insight into the man who became ‘Saul Goodman.’

4 Likes