HGTV bought the Brady Bunch house

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/07/hgtv-bought-the-brady-bunch-ho.html

3 Likes

QoPH1UB

1 Like

Having only read the headline my initial response was, this feels right

I’m excited to share that HGTV is the winning bidder and we’ll restore the home to its 1970s glory as only HGTV can. More detail to come over the next few months

…and then we’ll put it on the market waaaaaay out of Lance’s price range! Two sources of profit! Ka-ching!

This strikes me as a real dick move, because they know they could have approached Bass with the idea after the sale when he would have begun renovation considerations.
At least we know Bass had some interest in preserving the integrity of the home, but having seen enough HGTV, I don’t know if I trust them to do that.

9 Likes

Whatever HGTV does with it, there should be a “How Is It Now?” follow-up video done 3 years later to show how poorly projects age when they’re slapped-together by hacks with a deadline.

Dimes to donuts, whatever they touched will be aging and inadequate. This reeks of the well-intentioned lady responsible for Monkey Jesus, but instead of a well-intentioned lady we’ve got a mega corp that gets their bread and butter from the “i’m a professional too” Ralph Wiggum-wannabe crowd.

8 Likes

That’s a good point about deadlines. Generally, I like some producer’s work (Mike Holmes, The Property Brothers, etc.), but the the number of hack producers far outweighs the number of professionals on that channel, all at the service of viewership.

2 Likes

And nobody seems to escape the commerical gravity vortex. Eventually even the good hosts start to become parodies of themselves. Seems to be a universal truth in the age of “reality” television. e.g. early Mike Holmes vs. modern Mike Holmes…

1 Like

6 Likes

Agreed. I’m expecting them to turn it into another open-concept nightmare. The best improvement would probably be more bathrooms, but they’re not expecting six children and three adults to live there, right?

2 Likes

Seven! Don’t forget Oliver!

1 Like

i hate everything about this. Lance Bass should’ve gotten the place. now it feels doomed.

3 Likes

It’s distinctly possible I’m missing some deeper connection between The Brady Bunch and Lance Bass that everybody else knows about (did he guest star as a fetus? parents were the real Bradys?), but from what I can tell, some guy tried to buy a house and he got outbid. Kay.

I’m all for some good outrage at our corporate overlords (despite often happily working for said corporate overlords) but, I mean, this is a house that was born on TV, and used solely for exteriors – so a) kind of appropriate that a TV channel would buy it with the intention of returning it to TV, and b) it’s not like their interior renovation will “matter” in terms of nostalgia…

Or maybe it’s just fun to be angry about it. Grrrr.

1 Like

Maybe the one uniting feature of Boing Boing readers is that we all love something silly for stupid reasons and we are all ok with that. So Lance Bass loved this silly house for stupid reasons, and we are all into it even if we aren’t into the house itself or Lance Bass, whoever he is. Then along comes this company and craps on everything.

8 Likes

Wasn’t Lance Bass’ plan to go to space also thwarted? Seems he keeps missing out on some big ticket purchases

Fair enough. Who amongst us hasn’t loved something silly for stupid reasons? I’ve got a few things on my own list, no doubt.

But… just to play corporate devil’s advocate: maybe HGTV loved it for stupid reasons, too? Or at least the executives there who are, at the end of the day, folks who do silly things for stupid reasons just like everyone else…? Sure there’s money involved, but often, at the working level, it’s just people trying to do something fun and interesting, and they might have some financial means to get it done.

this Bingo Card is obviously pre-Fixer Upper and the cult that is Gaines

3 Likes

It’s a perfect candidate for this show! (warning: language)

2 Likes

Ugh - didn’t they send that kid back at some point? Or did he just wander off and no one cared to look for him?

1 Like

The bonus multiplier square is “shiplap”.

I don’t know if you caught the previous installments of the story here but I think the main thing that is disappointing people is that the real estate agent handling the sale of the property allegedly told Lance Bass that he had submitted the winning bid, that it was a done deal, and that the house was his.

Then awhile later she contacted him again and told him that his former done deal was now a corporate entity with infinitely-deep pockets’ done deal, and that he wasn’t getting the house after all.

Anyway, that’s what I understand the Mutant Unhappiness to be about.

2 Likes